Forum: Ruby on Rails Random 502 Bad Gateway

Bogdan I. (Guest)
I have moved my project to a dedicated server and I am getting a very
annoying behaviour.
I am able to view the site just fine when using the ip.
The name is properly resolved on my computer, however I am getting
"Bad Gateway The proxy server received an invalid response from an
upstream
server."
This is simply random. The site works for several minutes, then i get
this
message for some time.
I get nothing in any of the logs, and I get the same behaviour on both
apache2 and lighttpd.
Using directly the IP works with no problems at all.

I would really appreciate some clues on how to deal with this (well,
other
than getting drunk and forgetting about ;) )
Thanks,
Bogdan
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Bogdan I. wrote:

> Using directly the IP works with no problems at all.
>
> I would really appreciate some clues on how to deal with this
> (well, other than getting drunk and forgetting about ;) )
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

Bogdan-

	I have seen that error before when I was using an apache vhost with
proxypass and proxypassreverse to proxy to a lighty server on a high
port. I have a slight mis-configuration in the proxy vhost and it
made every request to the server give that same error until I fixed it.

	Are you using mod_proxy for anything with apache? If so I can send
you a good known working vhost to use. Let me know.

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Bogdan I. (Guest)
No, no mod_proxy. Also I was getting the same thing with lighttpd.
This seems to somehow be dns related. It appears that the ip of the new
machine fluctuates randomly.
The admin of the network hosting the server says everything is alright
there, but the ip just seems to go back and forth.
At the same time, i've stopped the web server on the original machine,
and
the error is still Bad gateway :P
Now it seems to be better, so I am hoping that this will fix by itself
;)
Siva J. (Guest)
r u sure it is not a problem of ur DNS server
Check with ur hosting company

On 1/31/06, Bogdan I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > "Bad Gateway The proxy server received an invalid response from an
> > > Bogdan
> >         Are you using mod_proxy for anything with apache? If so I can
> >
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Rgds,
--Siva J.
http://www.varcasa.com/
My First Rails Project. Powered by Typo and soon by RForum too