Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails to Java

Khaled M. (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 07:09
Hello,

I just started playing with RubyOnRails. It is indeed fascinating! I
have a question about using rails models to connect to backend Java
(i.e. EJBs) instead of database.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Khaled
Phillip H. (Guest)
On 31/01/2006, at 6:09 PM, Khaled Mohammad wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just started playing with RubyOnRails. It is indeed fascinating! I
> have a question about using rails models to connect to backend Java
> (i.e. EJBs) instead of database.
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.

Try jruby, it's a Java implementation of Ruby, it has access to the
Java API and Java classes. http://jruby.sourceforge.net/

You wouldn't be using ActiveRecord of course, just create the model
classes without inheriting from ActiveRecord.

--
Phillip H.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Phillip H. wrote:
> On 31/01/2006, at 6:09 PM, Khaled Mohammad wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just started playing with RubyOnRails. It is indeed fascinating! I
>> have a question about using rails models to connect to backend Java
>> (i.e. EJBs) instead of database.
>>
>> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> Try jruby, it's a Java implementation of Ruby, it has access to the
> Java API and Java classes. http://jruby.sourceforge.net/
>
> You wouldn't be using ActiveRecord of course, just create the model
> classes without inheriting from ActiveRecord.
>
> --
> Phillip H.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://www.sitharus.com/

Thank you sir. I appreciate this pointer. I will check into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Khaled
Colin (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 13:09
You should take a look at
http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/backyard/?RubyJavaBridge.

It works like a charm (under modern linuxes), but for some mysterious
reason it refuses to work on older, redhat 7.2, linuxes. In windows you
have to hack it a little to get rid of the automagic iconv that is going
it.
Khaled M. (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 13:13
Colin wrote:
> You should take a look at
> http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/backyard/?RubyJavaBridge.
>
> It works like a charm (under modern linuxes), but for some mysterious
> reason it refuses to work on older, redhat 7.2, linuxes. In windows you
> have to hack it a little to get rid of the automagic iconv that is going
> it.

Ok...great....thanks. I will definitely take a look as I have had good
experience with bridges before.

Regards,
Khaled