Forum: Ruby on Rails "x" and "y" values in a form_tag

Paul W. (Guest)

I have some strange output in my log file, where I am sending
information
via a form to the database, eg:

<-- snip -->
Processing StoreController#add_var_product (for 127.0.0.1 at 2006-01-30
12:30:19) [POST]
Parameters: {"size"=>{"id"=>""}, "x"=>"44", "y"=>"11",
"action"=>"add_var_product", "controller"=>"store"}
<-- snip-->

Although I can get things working no problem, these strange values seem
have appended themselves to the data I am POST'ing ?

The basic look of the page is several different forms for different
products, is it possible these "x" and "y" values are marking a position
on
page ? Tis pretty clever if so.....

Any ideas ?

Kind Regards,
Paul

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the MessageLabs
Virus Control Centre.

Notice:  This email is confidential and may contain copyright material
of Ocado Limited (the "Company"). Opinions and views expressed in this
message may not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of the
Company.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is your
responsibility to scan this message for viruses.

Company reg. no. 3875000.
Ocado Limited
Titan Court
3 Bishops Square
Hatfield Business Park
Hatfield
Herts
AL10 9NE

Are you using an image as a submit button? - I would guess that the x
and y are to do with your mouse position on the button when you click
'submit'...
Raymond O. (Guest)
on 2007-02-06 06:09
Raz wrote:
> Are you using an image as a submit button? - I would guess that the x
> and y are to do with your mouse position on the button when you click
> 'submit'...

I'm actually using a image for the submit button.  Is there any way to
turn it off so that the x and y coordinates are not sent?
Chris W. (Guest)
on 2007-02-06 09:44
Raymond O'connor wrote:
> I'm actually using a image for the submit button.  Is there any way to
> turn it off so that the x and y coordinates are not sent?

Yea, I'd love to know the same thing.  I notice digg.com does this for
their search bar, but x and y are not sent in their get request.  Yet
for me, x and y are always automatically sent.
Michel (. (Guest)
on 2007-05-31 20:20
Has anybody found how to remove x and y values from what is sent by the
form?

Thanks

Paul W. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some strange output in my log file, where I am sending
> information
> via a form to the database, eg:
>
> <-- snip -->
> Processing StoreController#add_var_product (for 127.0.0.1 at 2006-01-30
> 12:30:19) [POST]
> Parameters: {"size"=>{"id"=>""}, "x"=>"44", "y"=>"11",
> "action"=>"add_var_product", "controller"=>"store"}
> <-- snip-->
>
> Although I can get things working no problem, these strange values seem
> have appended themselves to the data I am POST'ing ?
>
> The basic look of the page is several different forms for different
> products, is it possible these "x" and "y" values are marking a position
> on
> page ? Tis pretty clever if so.....
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Paul
James M. (Guest)
That's coming from the image you are using to let your users submit
the form.  The x and y are the coordinates on the image that they
clicked.

--
James M.
Michel (. (Guest)

James M. wrote:
> That's coming from the image you are using to let your users submit
> the form.  The x and y are the coordinates on the image that they
> clicked.
>

> --
> James M.
James M. (Guest)
From where?  Your log files?  The address bar?  Stop using an image
to post your forms, and I promise they will disappear. ;)

Or, if that's not an option ignore them. ;)  If that's not an option,
put a filter on your controller, or for a global fix, move the filter
to the application.rb file.

The below demonstrates stripping it from the params as they come in.
It's not entirely clear to my why they would cause you problems.  The
only logical thing I can think of is if you are logging all params
globally and just want to reduce some noise.

If not, oh well, have fun!

Example:

----> console

$ rails dagnan
$ cd dagnan/
$ mate .
$ script/server
$ script/generate controller foo index

----> app/controllers/foo_controller.rb

<form name="foo" action="/foo/index" method="get">
  Name:  <input type="text" name="name" value="<%=params["name"]%>">
  <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
  <input type="image" src="/images/rails.png">
</form>

----> app/views/foo/index.rhtml

class FooController < ApplicationController

   before_filter :clense

   def index
     params.each do |t|
       puts "#{t[0]} => #{t[1]}"