Forum: Ruby on Rails multiparameter assignment

Fred W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 18:54
I'm trying to figure out the rails why to break a single database field
out into multiple fields on a form, very similar to how rails does with
dates.  How can I create my own object that mirrors the date objects
behaviur in how it accepts the multiparameter assignment from the form.

Example:
A phone number field (to force formating on the user) could be broken
into 3 form fields, formated server side, and written to the database in
a single field.
Craig W. (Guest)
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 17:54 +0100, Fred Wittekind wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the rails why to break a single database field
> out into multiple fields on a form, very similar to how rails does with
> dates.  How can I create my own object that mirrors the date objects
> behaviur in how it accepts the multiparameter assignment from the form.
>
> Example:
> A phone number field (to force formating on the user) could be broken
> into 3 form fields, formated server side, and written to the database in
> a single field.
----
there are helpers for phone numbers...
<%= number_to_phone(212-555-1212) %>
212-555-1212

there are validation methods such as validates_format_of attr, :with =>
regexp (pages 266 - 274 of Agile book)

there is also a section on 'aggregation' in Agile book that discusses
handling/joining/separating strings (pages 257 - 263)

Craig
Fred W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 19:14
Craig W. wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 17:54 +0100, Fred Wittekind wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out the rails why to break a single database field
>> out into multiple fields on a form, very similar to how rails does with
>> dates.  How can I create my own object that mirrors the date objects
>> behaviur in how it accepts the multiparameter assignment from the form.
>>
>> Example:
>> A phone number field (to force formating on the user) could be broken
>> into 3 form fields, formated server side, and written to the database in
>> a single field.
> ----
> there are helpers for phone numbers...
> <%= number_to_phone(212-555-1212) %>
> 212-555-1212

For what I'm trying to do, I need a form phone number helper, that
displays 3 text enty fields.  I think I can write this helper though, if
I can figure out the rest of this.

> there are validation methods such as validates_format_of attr, :with =>
> regexp (pages 266 - 274 of Agile book)

I'm sure I will have to address validation, but not ready for that yet.

> there is also a section on 'aggregation' in Agile book that discusses
> handling/joining/separating strings (pages 257 - 263)

I've looked at the section on aggregation, and tried very unsuccessfully
at doing this with a composed_of aggregation.  I got as far as the form
helper working, but as soon as I hit submit, it got a multiparameter
assignment error.  It looked like ActiveRecord couldn't figure out where
the object used in the aggregation was defined.

> Craig
Ben M. (Guest)
Fred Wittekind wrote:
>>>A phone number field (to force formating on the user) could be broken
> displays 3 text enty fields.  I think I can write this helper though, if
>>there is also a section on 'aggregation' in Agile book that discusses
>>Craig

I think aggregation is more about having *multiple* database columns
that you want to
group into a child object for convenience sake... not taking a single
column and
presenting it as multiple input boxes on a form. Sounds like a helper to
me.

Fred W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 23:24
Ben M. wrote:
> I think aggregation is more about having *multiple* database columns
> that you want to
> group into a child object for convenience sake... not taking a single
> column and
> presenting it as multiple input boxes on a form. Sounds like a helper to
> me.

Yeah, the aggregation didn't work very well.  I know I need the helper
portion of this, and I even think I know how to do that part.  The part
I can't figure out, is how to handle it properly in the model, to put it
back together into a single field to write back to the database.