Forum: Ruby on Rails characters are not being correctly displayed

Rodrigo D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 16:46
ok, here is my problem:
I started at my house a rails project, and I'm from argentina so I use
spanish, and I uses characters like 'á', 'é', 'í', 'ó', 'ú'.
In my house, every was working ok.
Then I brought the application at office, and when I start the server, I
just can't see those characters, instead I see, what should I do to set
the locale to es-ES in the rails application? is there a way to set this
in configuration.rb?
Thank you for your time
Alex Y. (Guest)
rodrigo dominguez wrote:
> ok, here is my problem:
> I started at my house a rails project, and I'm from argentina so I use
> spanish, and I uses characters like 'á', 'é', 'í', 'ó', 'ú'.
> In my house, every was working ok.
> Then I brought the application at office, and when I start the server, I
> just can't see those characters, instead I see, what should I do to set
> the locale to es-ES in the rails application? is there a way to set this
> in configuration.rb?
You need to make sure your character sets are configured correctly
throughout - unfortunately there's no single, central place to configure
them at the moment.  When you say you use characters like 'á', 'é', 'í',
'ó', and 'ú', which character set are they stored in?
Steve L. (Guest)
Alex Y. (Guest)
Steve L. wrote:
> Here is some info from the wiki:
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoSetDe...
Yup.  That's one.  Then there's the view templates and the database to
take care of, too.
Rodrigo D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 19:41
I downloaded the Locale plugin... but once I understood how the Locale
plugin works, I checked my view files, and I realized that my view files
were wrong :S
Right now I'm asking in the company what the problem could be, in
example, the 'ó' appears like '½', and the browser displays them like
'?', so I converted the file from ASCII to UTF8, and then I all the
characters that were displaying like '½' became in 'ó', so it was ok,
but when I tried to see the page from the browser, I just saw the code,
it was not interpreted by ruby, instead it send me the file like a text
file
so I don't have any idea of what's going on, I asked to my partners here
in the office but they don't know anything about it