Forum: Ruby Ruby tutorials w/ excercises

Scott T. (Guest)
I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

Thanks,

Scott T.
Aaron K. (Guest)
On 1/29/06, Scott T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

I would recommend you look into the Pragmatic Programmers "Learn to
Program" book.  Its subtitle is "The Facets of Ruby Series".

Good book.  I have it in both the PDF and hard copy, and refer to it
regularly.  It has exercises throughout the chapters.
Alex C. (Guest)
> On 1/29/06, Scott T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Here is nice one with good exercises:
http://ruby-doc.org/docs/Immersive%20Ruby%20progra...

Also, several in here, but not all have exercises
http://ruby-doc.org/docs/

Happy Hacking!
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Scott T. wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at
> the end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

Just to be sure we've covered all the options, there are plenty of
exercises at http://rubyquiz.com/.

James Edward G. II
Justin C. (Guest)
Scott T. wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott T.

Code katas from Prag Dave:

http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Pra...

-Justin
Ali (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 14:20
Scott T. wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott T.

I highly recommend Why's Poignant guide, you can work through the
various concepts  while you read about them. Be warned, it's really
quite strange. Check it out:

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/index.html

Ali
Doug B. (Guest)
> Code katas from Prag Dave:
>
> http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Pra...
>
> -Justin

Thats a fantastic resource!  I've never come across it before - I'm
always on the look out for some interesting and valid practice.  My
imagination always freezes though so its good having things like this.
 Will have to post that one on my blog.
Chris G. (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 20:10
Don't forget http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ...

Aaron K. wrote:

> I would recommend you look into the Pragmatic Programmers "Learn to
> Program" book.  Its subtitle is "The Facets of Ruby Series".

I was considering this book, but was hesitant because I already know how
to program (at least, I like to think so!). Is this book aimed strictly
at people who know nothing about programming, or would it also be
appropriate for people who want to learn Ruby, but are otherwise fairly
experienced programmers?
James B. (Guest)
Doug B. wrote:
>  Will have to post that one on my blog.

You might also be interested in Jon Bently's Programming Pearls

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

C-based, but still good.

--
James B.

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
  for machines to execute."
   - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
   (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)
Aaron K. (Guest)
On 1/31/06, Chris G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> appropriate for people who want to learn Ruby, but are otherwise fairly
> experienced programmers?

I think this is probably more appropriate for someone new to
programming.  There are posts in this same thread that that mention
the Code Katas.  I would check those out.
Brian B. (Guest)
Check out

http://mathschallenge.net

Short math problems and solutions in different languages.  Opportunity
here
for Ruby gurus to step up to the plate.

Brian
Jeppe J. (Guest)
It's a nice site, but I doubt that it's very challenging to write a
program
that can solve the question, at least for most of the problems.

It's nice exercies for beginners though.

:)

2006/2/1, Brian B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Martin DeMello (Guest)
James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Scott T. wrote:
>

> > I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at
> > the end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Just to be sure we've covered all the options, there are plenty of
> exercises at http://rubyquiz.com/.

Which I'm currently using to teach myself common lisp :)

martin