Forum: Ruby on Rails Accessing attributes

r00by n00by (Guest)
on 2006-01-29 22:39
I have a name of an attribute and I need to get its value and set a new
value for it:

x1 = a.foo
a.foo = x2

How do I do that if the name of the attribute 'foo' is a var?
I thought about doing this:

attribute_name = 'foo'

x1 = a.attributes[attribute_name]
a.attributes[attribute_name] = x2

but this is a bypass and I'm quite sure it would cause problems.
I know I could use 'eval', but I'd rather use it only as the last
option.
Is there a bette option?
Cody F. (Guest)
You could try this: