Forum: Ruby on Rails Problems with FireRuby and scaffolding

Juan T. (Guest)
on 2006-01-29 05:17
I am trying to generate some scaffolding using "ruby script/generate
scaffold order order". It always fails with the message "uninitialized
constant CHARACTER_SET". I have an orders table in a Firebird databse
called TARPRILOGISTICS.GDB. The database is in a folder named "database"
in my rails app root folder. I tried FireRuby 0.4 and 0.4.1. My config
file looks like this:

development:
  adapter:  firebird
  database: ../database/TARPRILOGISTICS.GDB
  username: sysdba
  password: masterkey
  charset:  UNICODE_FSS
  host: localhost

Any solutions to this problem?

Thank you.
Jose Carlos (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 03:02
 Try changing to "character set:  UNICODE_FSS"  instead of "charset:
UNICODE_FSS".

It works to me.

development:
  adapter: firebird
  database: c:\rails\producao\SCF.GDB
  host: TOSHIBA-USER
  character set: UNICODE_FSS
  username: SYSDBA
  password: masterkey

 hope this help.
Juan T. (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 03:36
No it didn't work with "character set:  UNICODE_FSS". Now it just ends
with a "FireRuby::FireRubyException" when I run the scaffold.
Peter J. (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 04:32
Juan,

Here's one of my FB config files:

development:
  adapter:  firebird
  database: mytestdb
  host:     localhost
  username: sysdba
  password: masterkey

My DB is on my PC.  Have you also setup your aliases.conf file, located
in your Firebird folder?  Mine contains the following:

mytestdb = c:\ruby\projects\test\db\mytestdb.fdb

I'm using Firebird 1.5.3, Rails 1.0, Ruby 1.8.2 and FireRuby 0.4.1 - and
everything works fine.
Juan T. (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 03:40
Peter J. wrote:
> Juan,
>
> Here's one of my FB config files:
>
> development:
>   adapter:  firebird
>   database: mytestdb
>   host:     localhost
>   username: sysdba
>   password: masterkey
>
> My DB is on my PC.  Have you also setup your aliases.conf file, located
> in your Firebird folder?  Mine contains the following:
>
> mytestdb = c:\ruby\projects\test\db\mytestdb.fdb
>
> I'm using Firebird 1.5.3, Rails 1.0, Ruby 1.8.2 and FireRuby 0.4.1 - and
> everything works fine.

I make it work at last. The solution was to upgrade from Firebird 1.5.2
to 1.5.3. My config file looks like:
development:
  adapter:  firebird
  database:
C:\MyProjects\workspace\TarpriLogRuby\database\TARPRILOGISTICS.GDB
  host: localhost
  character set:  UNICODE_FSS
  username: sysdba
  password: masterkey

Thanks everyone for all the help!! I really appreciate it! One more
question tho: Is there any way of making the path to the database
relative instead of absolute? I tried "../database/TARPRILOGISTICS.GDB"
(the database is in the database folder in the web app root folder) but
it did not work. Any suggestions are welcomed.