Forum: Ruby Having trouble embedding ruby.

Mikko L. (Guest)

   What I have is:
     - A little wrapper executable which basicly just links to
       libruby-static.a and tries to run a specific script.
     - Extension, that for now does nothing but try to init GLUT and
open
       a window
     - Optionally I can compile the wrapper and extension statically
       together

   And I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.4, with ruby 1.8.4

   What I get is:

   - When using the standard ruby executable or irb, the extension works
     properly.
   - The wrapper executable seems to run other ruby code properly.
   - When using the extension through the wrapper (either statically or
     by loading dynamically) I get this:

/Users/scoopr/Code/kiya-ng/final/pkgtest.app/Contents/Resources/init.rb:12:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

Abort trap

   Line 12 being the last (empty) line of the init script, the script
   just puts hello world and tries to init the extension.

   What I noticed that loading of the extension itself doesn't break,
but
   the actual call to glutInit is the offending call!

   Is there something I'm missing? Some library that I forgot to link
   (but for some reason no compile errors for it)? Some other compile
   parameter that I forgot/have to be removed?

   Motivation for the wrapper initially is to make a proper .app bundle
   for macs, and I know that there is atleast the rubycocoa one also,
but
   I want to get this working also.

Thanks,
Mikko
Matt M. (Guest)
Hi Mikko,

On 28/01/06, Mikko L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

I'm doing very similar work with an XCode project embedding Ruby 1.8.4
via libruby-static.a.

Based on previous [BUG] Bus Error my first thought would be about how
you compiled Ruby and the extension you are trying to use. Were they
both compiled with the same version of GCC?

I don't pretend to understand it, but I believe I have seen something
similar when Ruby compiled with GCC3 attemtped to use an extension
compiled with GCC4.

Regards,

Matt
Mikko L. (Guest)
Hi Matt,

> I'm doing very similar work with an XCode project embedding Ruby 1.8.4
> via libruby-static.a.
>
> Based on previous [BUG] Bus Error my first thought would be about how
> you compiled Ruby and the extension you are trying to use. Were they
> both compiled with the same version of GCC?

   Yes.

> I don't pretend to understand it, but I believe I have seen something
> similar when Ruby compiled with GCC3 attemtped to use an extension
> compiled with GCC4.

   Could be, but I'm pretty sure both were compiled with the same
   version. I also tried compiling all with gcc 3.3, with the same
   results.

> Regards,
>
> Matt

Thanks,
Mikko
Eero S. (Guest)
On 2006.01.29 04:34, Mikko L. wrote:

>   Yes.
>

> >I don't pretend to understand it, but I believe I have seen something
> >similar when Ruby compiled with GCC3 attemtped to use an extension
> >compiled with GCC4.
>
>   Could be, but I'm pretty sure both were compiled with the same
>   version. I also tried compiling all with gcc 3.3, with the same
>   results.

Can you get anything out of a debugger, either from the process
or the core file? The BSD-family seems to sometimes use the bus
error signal instead of SIGSEGV.