Forum: Ruby on Rails Preferred Ruby Editor/IDE for OS X?

Joshua Gitlin (Guest)
Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?

-Josh
Jeff J. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 15:56
Joshua Gitlin wrote:
> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
> editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
> syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
> one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?
>
> -Josh

Radrails runs on Java and is, as far as I am concerned, a fantastic IDE.

www.radrails.org

Jeff
Mikkel B. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 15:56
Joshua Gitlin wrote:
> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
> editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
> syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
> one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?
>
> -Josh

first post!

textmate www.macromates.com
Jeff J. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 16:03
Mikkel B. wrote:
> Joshua Gitlin wrote:
>> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
>> editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
>> syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
>> one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?
>>
>> -Josh
>
> first post!

Wanna bet? :p
Mikkel B. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 16:13
Jeff J. wrote:
> Mikkel B. wrote:
>> Joshua Gitlin wrote:
>>> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
>>> editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
>>> syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
>>> one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?
>>>
>>> -Josh
>>
>> first post!
>
> Wanna bet? :p

at least the first post recommending textmate :p
Jake J. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 16:19
Jeff J. wrote:
> Joshua Gitlin wrote:
>> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a terminal
>> editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and maybe
>> syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor or IDE,
>> one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?
>>
>> -Josh
>
> Radrails runs on Java and is, as far as I am concerned, a fantastic IDE.
>
> www.radrails.org
>
> Jeff

So I see that radrails is built on Eclipse.  Is this different than the
RubyPeople, Inc. plugin?  It's the one I'm currently using but it's at
v. 0.6.0 (according to my About Eclipse page).  They both appear to be
called RDT, so I'm a bit confused.

   Jake
James A. (Guest)
If you're happier with a full-blown IDE, RadRails or some
eclipse-variant should suit you well (although even on my dual G5,
eclipse doesn't exactly fly).

If on the otherhand you prefer working in a text editor with terminal
windows, etc, then you can do much worse than TextMate. It's the best
impulse-bought (Serial #12) software I have :)

- james
Bruce B. (Guest)
Joshua:

Not under java to my knowledge but I am on OS X and my favourite
editor by far is TextMate.  What makes TextMate so cool for me (there
is lots of other cool stuff) is their snippets editor. You have to
try it, it's just great.  In essence it gives you a very simple way
to define abbreviation such as "tbl5" and instantly create a table
with striping and 4 rows. It's cooler than that, but you'd have to
try it to see just how cool.  It's inexpensive for the time it will
save you at something like 39 Euros. Highly recommended.

bruce
Jeff J. (Guest)
on 2006-01-27 16:55
> So I see that radrails is built on Eclipse.  Is this different than the
> RubyPeople, Inc. plugin?  It's the one I'm currently using but it's at
> v. 0.6.0 (according to my About Eclipse page).  They both appear to be
> called RDT, so I'm a bit confused.
>
>    Jake

I haven't used the RubyPeople Inc plugin but I believe they are
different. You can radrails download it as a standalone. Maybe this will
give you an idea. http://www.radrails.org/page/about

Of course, as mentioned before that is if you want a full blown IDE.
TextMate is the weapon of choice many who prefer a lighter interface

Jeff
Thibaut Barrère (Guest)
Hi Jake

afaik the latest RadRails ( http://www.radrails.org/blog/show/47 )
release
includes the RDT plugin and rely upon it.

Thibaut
--
[blog] http://www.dotnetguru2.org/tbarrere
Chris G. (Guest)

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/feature...

Expensive, but looks very full-featured ... also good for anyone who is
already familiar with it for development in Python/PHP/etc. I haven't
personally used it, but I know there are those who swear by it.
Chris H. (Guest)
I havne't had a chance to try it yet so I don't know it's
features/abilities
as far as ruby or rails goes, but Text Wrangler is a free editor (based
on
BBEdit I believe).  Anyone have any experience using it? Likes/dislikes?
Steven Mohapi-Banks (Guest)
I use TextMate. It's very nice, and very reasonably priced.

Steve
Dylan S. (Guest)
my obglitory post...  use VIm !
Ken B. (Guest)
If you really want to go there...  emacs!  =-)
Tom M. (Guest)
On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:56 AM, Mikkel B. wrote:

> textmate www.macromates.com
Oh, yes, the right answer delivered so quickly, but incomplete
without this plugin:

http://inquirylabs.com/blog2005/?p=36

--
-- Tom M.
matthew clark (Guest)
Dylan S. wrote:
> lol... i would honestly recommend either emacs or vim... you can use
> them anywhere.
When I first started using serious text editors (about '97, I think), i
quickly turned into a happy emacs zealot.  Then my wrists started
complaining *painfully* at the three-finger salutes it requires.  I
tried new keyboards, different key-mappings, the works.  Then I switched
to vim, out of desperation as much as anything else.

Now, I am a happy vim zealot :-)
Marcelo Bello (Guest)
I use RadRails and am very happy with it.
I like using RadRails rather than Eclipse + plugins... the RadRails
package
is cleaner and rails specific. It takes a bit to load on a Pentium-M
512M
notebook, but once loaded it is fast enought that I don't wish it to be
faster.
Dylan S. (Guest)
Excellent story Alex !  Jotting this one down for future flame wars.
J/k of course :)
Phillip H. (Guest)
On 28/01/2006, at 2:51 AM, Joshua Gitlin wrote:

> Just a quick question, if I were tired of typing ruby into a
> terminal editor, say I wanted, oh, a scroll bar, mouse support, and
> maybe syntax highlighting? Anyone know os a good Ruby/Rails editor
> or IDE, one that runs on OS X, possibly in Java?

TextMate, it just feels nicer than Eclipse or any of the other
editors. Plus it has syntax highlighting for some of the Rails
methods ;)

--
Phillip H.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
At 5:58 PM +0000 1/27/06, Alex Y. wrote:
> Now, I am a happy vim zealot :-)

I've been using vi for 20+ years and still use it for most
of my editing, but TextMate is FAR superior for bouncing
around multi-file collections like a Rails installation.

-r
--
Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development:
  http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume

Contact information: removed_email_address@domain.invalid, +1 650-873-7841
Bakki K. (Guest)
I am using RadRails 0.5.3 on a AMD64 Debian Sarge box and am very
impressed
by it. I particularly like the Data view for SQL queries, svn
integration.
RDT integration (with 0.5.3). Kyle S. and company are doing a
fantastic
job with it. Way to go guys! It has come a long ways in a short time.

That said, prior to RadRails I was using FreeRIDE which was quite
usable. I
am at a  loss why the community didn't jump on this and develop a rails
plugin, since it IS written in RUBY and has a built in debugger, and
syntax
highlighting etc.  With its FreeBase plugin architecture it is quite
extensible. It is #5 in downloads at Rubyforge, The only downside is the
fact that it uses the FOX gui library. But I had no trouble installing
it on
Debian. My 2 cents worth :)

-bakki