Forum: Ruby Re: Oniguruma and 1.8.x

K.Kosako (Guest)
> I have started playing with Oniguruma a little.
>
> My first two questions deal with building it with 1.8.
>
> 1. One of the five patches failed and I had to apply it
> manually. Can we get this fixed in some way that will
> work for all 1.8.x?

I have checked today Oniguruma 2.5.2
and Ruby 1.8.2/1.8.3/1.8.4 from CVS Repository.

In Cygwin, all of them succeeded.
In Windows, 1.8.4 failed because I have forgotten
to update Makefile of Win32 for Ruby 1.8.4.
So, I have released Oniguruma 2.5.3 a little while ago.

Have you worked on Windows Ruby 1.8.4?

> 2. Would it be possible/practical/desirable to distribute
> Oniguruma as part of 1.8, built optionally? Something
> like ./configure --with-oniguruma ?

Possible.
But I expect that Many people oppose it.

P.S.
I think it is enough for most people, to support
look-behind in Ruby 1.8 regexp engine.
Did anyone challenge it?
Hal F. (Guest)
K.Kosako wrote:

> I have checked today Oniguruma 2.5.2
> and Ruby 1.8.2/1.8.3/1.8.4 from CVS Repository.
>
> In Cygwin, all of them succeeded.
> In Windows, 1.8.4 failed because I have forgotten
> to update Makefile of Win32 for Ruby 1.8.4.
> So, I have released Oniguruma 2.5.3 a little while ago.
>
> Have you worked on Windows Ruby 1.8.4?

No, I have not tried it on Windows at all. I have
had problems on Linux and Solaris.

>>2. Would it be possible/practical/desirable to distribute
>>Oniguruma as part of 1.8, built optionally? Something
>>like ./configure --with-oniguruma ?
>
> Possible.
> But I expect that Many people oppose it.

OK, not important to me anyway. I am mostly
concerned with documenting.

> P.S.
> I think it is enough for most people, to support
> look-behind in Ruby 1.8 regexp engine.
> Did anyone challenge it?

I don't know. I only want to cover some features
of Oniguruma in the 2nd edition of _The Ruby Way_,
and I am aware that it will be printed long before
Ruby 2 is out.

Thank you,
Hal
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 26, 2006, at 6:18 AM, K.Kosako wrote:

>> 2. Would it be possible/practical/desirable to distribute
>> Oniguruma as part of 1.8, built optionally? Something
>> like ./configure --with-oniguruma ?
>
> Possible.
> But I expect that Many people oppose it.

I have a hard time seeing an option as a bad thing, as long as it's
not the default.  It makes things easier for those who want to use
Oniguruma and doesn't affect those who do not.

I, for one, am 100% for it.

James Edward G. II
K.Kosako (Guest)
Hal F. wrote:

>No, I have not tried it on Windows at all. I have
>had problems on Linux and Solaris.

Sorry,  I have to check on Linux.
Could you tell me the Ruby version, release date
and last modified time of re.c?
K.Kosako (Guest)
Hal F. wrote:

>No, I have not tried it on Windows at all. I have
>had problems on Linux and Solaris.

Today I have checked on Linux (Fedora Core 4).

* Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-14)
* Ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21)
* Ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24)

All of them succeeded.
What is your ruby version?

I make an effort to support "snapshot".
I mean "snapshot" as the lastest snapshot of ruby_1_8 branch of CVS,
not mean old one.

I have to change the explanation of INSTALL-RUBY as following.

        make 16     # for Ruby 1.6.8
        or
        make 182    # for Ruby 1.8.2
        or
        make 183    # for Ruby 1.8.3
        or
        make 184    # for Ruby 1.8.4
        or
        make 18     # for latest snapshot of Ruby 1.8