Forum: Ruby on Rails switching to edge rails

Peter M. (Guest)

I want to start using has_many :through. I think that eventually I'll
be removing all uses has_and_belongs_to_many from my project.

Here is my situation

I'm using SVN
I want to use edge rails

Reading the wiki about switching to edge rails[1], I can't figure out
which combination of subsections I must perform.

Do I want edge rails to reside in the vendor directory?
Will this make SVN checkouts of my project take a long time?

Thanks,
Peter

[1] http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/EdgeRails
Nshbrown N. (Guest)
Hey Peter,

You can modify the vendor directory's svn:externals property by running

svn propedit svn:externals vendor/

Add this line:
rails http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk/

The next time you run "svn up" it will download the entire trunk to the
vendor/rails directory for you.

If you want to negate that option, you can use the following as of SVN
1.2
(http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html)

svn checkout/update/status/export --ignore-externals
    Don't process any svn:externals during operation.

Regards,
Nathaniel.

Hi Nathaniel,

That seems to bring up the VIM editor which I have no idea how to use.
I can type but I can't save or exit. I have to use kill to abort the
mission.

Any way to edit with textmate or textedit?

Thanks,
Peter
Łukasz Piestrzeniewicz (Guest)
Hi Peter!

On 26/01/06, Peter M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> That seems to bring up the VIM editor which I have no idea how to use.
> I can type but I can't save or exit. I have to use kill to abort the
> mission.

 Do you know how to create a string of characters with a good
randomness?
Tell clueless user to quit vi :)

Next time try: ESC :wq!

Any way to edit with textmate or textedit?

Not sure about mac but on Linux in your home directory there is a file
~/.subversion/config in which you may specify editor used for writing
commit
logs and editing properites.
James L. (Guest)
On 1/26/06, Peter M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> That seems to bring up the VIM editor which I have no idea how to use.
> I can type but I can't save or exit. I have to use kill to abort the
> mission.
>
> Any way to edit with textmate or textedit?

It's a command line switch.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/re20.html

On a related note, it's well worth learning the basics of vi if for no
other reason than you might one day find yourself working on a Unix
box with no other choice of editor.
Peter M. (Guest)
I figured out enough vim to get the job done. I was hoping to avoid vi
for the rest of my life but it wasn't so bad.

Now, all I have done is switch from gem rails to edge rails and all of
a sudden I get a stack level too deep error when I try to view certain
pages of my site. Is there a place that describes what changes I must
make to my app to get it ready for edge rails?

Thanks,
Peter
Michel Valdrighi (Guest)
On 1/26/06, Peter M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> That seems to bring up the VIM editor which I have no idea how to use.
> I can type but I can't save or exit. I have to use kill to abort the
> mission.
>
> Any way to edit with textmate or textedit?

For TextMate, assuming you installed the command-line tool "mate"
(instructions are provided during installation or somewhere in TM's
help), you can add this to your ~/.profile file:
EDITOR=mate; export $EDITOR

--
Michel Valdrighi
Devéloppeur Web Intraordinaire
Peter M. wrote:
> That seems to bring up the VIM editor which I have no idea how to use.
> I can type but I can't save or exit. I have to use kill to abort the
> mission.

http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/faq/vi.help

Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Jan 26, 2006, at 8:34 AM, Peter M. wrote:

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Peter-

	You need to set the $SVN_EDITOR env var to the text editor you want
to use for entering your svn commands. So for textmate you should
have the mate command installe dto open files from the cli. So in
your ~/.bashrc you should add the follwing line:

export SVN_EDITOR=mate

	Or you can call the svn command like this:

$ SVN_EDITOR=mate; svn ....

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic