Forum: Ruby have to learn java

Dirk M. (Guest)
hi everyone :-)
i love ruby, i love it a lot, but me being a highschool student, i have
learn java for my computer science class.. and i'm not looking forward
to it
at all..
but i was wondering if you guys (who are obviously more experienced than
am, in both java and ruby) could point out some similarities, so i could
start off a little faster, and some of the not-so-obvious differences
and
the these-are-not-the-sames...
greetings, Dirk.
James B. (Guest)
Dirk M. wrote:
> hi everyone :-)
> i love ruby, i love it a lot, but me being a highschool student, i have to
> learn java for my computer science class.. and i'm not looking forward to it
> at all..
> but i was wondering if you guys (who are obviously more experienced than i
> am, in both java and ruby) could point out some similarities, so i could
> start off a little faster, and some of the not-so-obvious differences and
> the these-are-not-the-sames...
> greetings, Dirk.

There is a presentation on Ruby for Java Developers that I believe goes
into this:

http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby

See the item titled, "10 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know About
Ruby"

And browse around ruby-doc for more help and information.

http://ruby-doc.org/gettingstarted

--
James B.

Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-25 17:17
James B. wrote:
> There is a presentation on Ruby for Java Developers that I believe goes
> into this:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby
>
> See the item titled, "10 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know About
> Ruby"

The originals are viewable on the web here:
http://onestepback.org/articles/10things/

I just gave this talk last weekend to the Cincinnati-Dayton Code Camp.
Picture this: Comparing Ruby to Java in a room full of C# programmers at
a .NET conference sponsored by Microsoft, and doing it all on a Linux
based laptop.

--
-- Jim W.
greg.rb (Guest)

http://www.bluej.org/

good luck
John W. Long (Guest)
Jim W. wrote:
> I just gave this talk last weekend to the Cincinnati-Dayton Code Camp.
> Picture this: Comparing Ruby to Java in a room full of C# programmers at
> a .NET conference sponsored by Microsoft, and doing it all on a Linux
> based laptop.

That's hysterical. :-)
Tom J. (Guest)
3 cheers for Jim !

Don't have a video feed I suppose?

-- Tom

On 1/25/06, Jim W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> http://onestepback.org/articles/10things/

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all
 possible objections must first be
 overcome." - Samuel Johnson

"Luck is what happens when
 preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-25 19:39
Tom J. wrote:
> 3 cheers for Jim !
>
> Don't have a video feed I suppose?

Sorry, not for this one.

--
-- Jim W.
Rich (Guest)

Besides, you have to know your enemy in order to defeat it =)
Glenn S. (Guest)
Last year I got into Ruby in a big way, and was using Rails on a daily
basis.  Sadly "the company way" says Java, so Java it is.

Java has a lot of benefits - no so much the language itself, but the
available libraries.  I seem to remember needing a decent graphing tool
for
example, and there are plenty of choices out there for the Java
programmer,
but relatively few for Ruby.

Unfortunately this is the downside of Ruby - fabulous language,
beautifully
designed, and with a great community and some very dedicated people
helping
it to survive and prosper, but it's a relatively small fish in a big
ocean
and the big fish is Java right now.  Still, Ruby-On-Rails more than
anything
is pushing Ruby out to a wider audience, so there is hope.

On 26/01/06, James H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Knowing multiple languages never hurts.  You'll find Java cumbersome,
> but useful.  IMHO, it's the new C.  By that I mean that you'll
> communicate ideas with Java, find it just about everywhere, and it'll
> put bread on the table for years to come.
>
> Besides, you have to know your enemy in order to defeat it =)

--

All the best
Glenn