Forum: Ruby I like the new ruby-doc.org!

James G. (Guest)
Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel
the new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.
Nice work!

James Edward G. II

P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For some
reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)
David B. (Guest)
On 1/25/06, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel
> the new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.
> Nice work!

+1

> James Edward G. II
>
> P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For some
> reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
> standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)

+1

I also think it would make more sense to newbies. But as James says,
it's a minor issue.
Matthew J Desmarais (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 13:13 +0900, James Edward G. II wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel
> the new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.
> Nice work!
>
> James Edward G. II
>
> P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For some
> reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
> standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)

Absolutely!  I was pleasantly surprised to find the new look when I paid
ruby-doc a visit today.  When did this happen?

Funny thing about the minor complaint: I had the same reaction.  I'm
always horrified by reminders of what a creature of habit I've become.
unknown (Guest)
On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:13 PM, James Edward G. II wrote:
> P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For
> some reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
> standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)
This was my first thought also.  If it had always been that way I might
not have noticed but it is now the opposite of the previous layout.

Thanks for making this site available.

Gary W.
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 1/24/06, Matthew J Desmarais <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Absolutely!  I was pleasantly surprised to find the new look when I paid
> ruby-doc a visit today.  When did this happen?
>
> Funny thing about the minor complaint: I had the same reaction.  I'm
> always horrified by reminders of what a creature of habit I've become.

I did the exact same thing.  I clicked on standard library when I
really wanted core api.
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/24/06, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel
> the new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.
> Nice work!

Yes... Very cool!

> P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For some
> reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
> standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)

Agreed.
James B. (Guest)
Matthew J Desmarais wrote:
>>standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)
>

> Absolutely!  I was pleasantly surprised to find the new look when I paid
> ruby-doc a visit today.  When did this happen?

Sunday.

> Funny thing about the minor complaint: I had the same reaction.  I'm
> always horrified by reminders of what a creature of habit I've become.

But habits matter.  I hadn't thought about that, but now that it's been
mentioned, switching them makes sense.  (I rarely go through the main
page for the API docs, so the reversing didn't trigger any alarms for
me.)

And thanks, all, for the compliments.  Real thanks for the look should
go to Dan Ritz of 30 Second Rule, though.

There are a few issues I'm working to correct, but if you find stuff
(broken links, awkward layout, general weirdness) please let me know.

--
James B.

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
gabriele renzi (Guest)
James Edward G. II ha scritto:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel  the
> new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.   Nice
> work!
>
> James Edward G. II

+1, it took some time but the result is really nice, thanks to James
Britt!
Maxwell Heidegger (Guest)
very cool, indeed.

Is this site built with RoR? Could not tell from netcraft as it reports:

Apache/1.3.27 Unix Red-Hat/Linux mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2623
mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 mod_perl/1.26
Michael F. (Guest)
Hehe, look at the bottom of the page ^^

Am Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:03 schrieb Maxwell Heidegger:
unknown (Guest)
On Wednesday 25 January 2006 05:03 pm, Maxwell Heidegger wrote:
> very cool, indeed.
>
> Is this site built with RoR? Could not tell from netcraft as it reports:
>
> Apache/1.3.27 Unix Red-Hat/Linux mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2623
> mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 mod_perl/1.26

Built using Nitro http://www.nitrohq.com/

Tsume
Eric J. (Guest)
James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> P.S.  Minor, minor, minor complaint (feel free to ignore):  For some
> reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
> standard library on the right.  I keep clicking the wrong one...  :)

+1

The link to the pickaxe is broken, too.
unknown (Guest)
In article <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
Maxwell Heidegger  <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 mod_perl/1.26

Nope, not RoR.  It says on the page (lower right-hand side) that it's
powered
by Nitro.

Phil
Damphyr (Guest)
James B. wrote:
>>> reason my reflexes believe core should be on the left and the
>
> But habits matter.  I hadn't thought about that, but now that it's been
> mentioned, switching them makes sense.  (I rarely go through the main
> page for the API docs, so the reversing didn't trigger any alarms for me.)
>
> And thanks, all, for the compliments.  Real thanks for the look should
> go to Dan Ritz of 30 Second Rule, though.
>
> There are a few issues I'm working to correct, but if you find stuff
> (broken links, awkward layout, general weirdness) please let me know.

Yeap, let me add my +1 and congrats for the new layout.
I also tricked myself with the core/standard link placement.
I've been meaning to bookmark the direct links, but somehow I always
seem to go through the main page :)
George must be happy to see the powered by Nitro sign :)
V.-
--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva
Alan G. (Guest)
James Edward G. II wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel the
> new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.  Nice
> work!
>
> James Edward G. II

Agreed, it looks great!

[obligatory] Anyone have any idea when www.ruby-lang.org will get the
facelift that was designed a while ago [/obligatory]
Martin DeMello (Guest)
James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> And thanks, all, for the compliments.  Real thanks for the look should
> go to Dan Ritz of 30 Second Rule, though.

Thanks to both of you, then :) Very nice work.

> There are a few issues I'm working to correct, but if you find stuff
> (broken links, awkward layout, general weirdness) please let me know.

Not so much nitpicking as whining, but it'd be nice if the boxes around
the various categories remained after zapping the background colour.

martin
James B. (Guest)
Alan G. wrote:
> James Edward G. II wrote:
>
>> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel the
>> new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.  Nice
>> work!
>>
>> James Edward G. II
>

> Agreed, it looks great!

Thanks.   (And thank my partners at 30 Second Rule.)

> [obligatory] Anyone have any idea when www.ruby-lang.org will get the
> facelift that was designed a while ago [/obligatory]

Trust me, this always takes longer than you expect.  Especially when
it's something that gets done "when you have free time."

--

Maxwell Heidegger wrote:
> very cool, indeed.
>
> Is this site built with RoR? Could not tell from netcraft as it reports:

This is a Nitro site.

http://www.nitrohq.com

--

Martin DeMello wrote:
>>(broken links, awkward layout, general weirdness) please let me know.
>

> Not so much nitpicking as whining, but it'd be nice if the boxes around
> the various categories remained after zapping the background colour.

Zapping? As in using a Firefox thingy to clear colors?

If I edit the CSS (though Firefox) and remove the background color, I
still see the boxes.  But not if I do a 'zap colors'.  That seems to
make sense, though.

--

James B. wrote:
> Alan G. wrote:
>> [obligatory] Anyone have any idea when www.ruby-lang.org will get the
>> facelift that was designed a while ago [/obligatory]
>>

> Trust me, this always takes longer than you expect.  Especially when
> it's something that gets done "when you have free time."

Sure -- Is it just a time-to-deploy issue or is there additional work
that needs to be done for this?  (As far as being able for others to
volunteer some time/code)
James B. (Guest)
Alan G. wrote:

> Sure -- Is it just a time-to-deploy issue or is there additional work
> that needs to be done for this?  (As far as being able for others to
> volunteer some time/code)

Most of the immediate work is tracking down broken links.  The site had
become, on the server, a fair mess of files and folders and sym links,
and swapping out pages was far less clean than it should have been.

I will probably write something to crawl the site and give me a link
status report that doesn't bury me in the obvious.

Longer-term I need to add a smarter search facility and a version of the
API docs that allow for user comments;  I've started working with RDog (
Nitro/Og application), so if you have knowledge of Nitro/Og/RDog (or are
interested in learning about these things) then I could use a hand on
some things.

Thanks,

James B.
---
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 25, 2006, at 5:21 PM, James B. wrote:

> Most of the immediate work is tracking down broken links.  The site
> had become, on the server, a fair mess of files and folders and sym
> links, and swapping out pages was far less clean than it should
> have been.
>
> I will probably write something to crawl the site and give me a
> link status report that doesn't bury me in the obvious.

Just FYI, I'm currently reading Higher-Order Perl and one of the
examples was a simple robot framework.  The example in the book used
it to find broken links, among other things.

I mention this because I have it mostly ported.  The version in the
book obeys /robots.txt and mine doesn't yet, but that's the only
difference at this point.  (The used a Perl module to handle the
robot file I can find a Ruby equivalent for.  See this Friday's Ruby
Quiz...  :D)

Anyway, if it will help, it's all yours.  It'll be on my blog[1] in a
couple of days, but you can email me privately if you want it before
then...

1:  http://blog.grayproductions.net/

James Edward G. II
Rich M. (Guest)
James B. wrote:
> I will probably write something to crawl the site and give
> me a link status report that doesn't bury me in the obvious.

For about the same amount of effort, you could install
Swish-e and get both link checking and full-text search.

-r
--
Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development:
  http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume

Contact information: removed_email_address@domain.invalid, +1 650-873-7841
John W. Long (Guest)
Alan G. wrote:
> [obligatory] Anyone have any idea when www.ruby-lang.org will get the
> facelift that was designed a while ago [/obligatory]

It's coming. I'm working full time on the project right now. It may be a
while though. I'm in the middle of writing a custom CMS for the site.
Read more on my blog:

http://wiseheartdesign.com
James B. (Guest)
James Edward G. II wrote:

> Anyway, if it will help, it's all yours.  It'll be on my blog[1] in a
> couple of days, but you can email me privately if you want it before
> then...

Thanks.  You realize, of course, that all geeks feel compelled to first
write the code themselves.

"It'll be easy! A two-liner!  Maybe one."

I mean, so long as there's coffee in the house.

James B.
James B. (Guest)
Rich M. wrote:
> James B. wrote:
>
>>I will probably write something to crawl the site and give
>>me a link status report that doesn't bury me in the obvious.
>

> For about the same amount of effort, you could install
> Swish-e and get both link checking and full-text search.

Yeah, but there's this strong compulsion to eat my own dog food.  Or
Ruby's, at least.  I'd like to first see if I can get what I want using
only Ruby.

James
Martin DeMello (Guest)
James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> make sense, though.
Yeah, there's a little javascript bookmarklet[1] I use to remove
background
colours from a page, since I find them hard to read. Most pages degrade
surprisingly gracefully; ruby-doc almost does, apart from the box issue.
Maybe have an alternate stylesheet without the background colours, then?
I know I'm not the only person who dislikes them.

martin

[1] from http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
Ross B. (Guest)
On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 08:21 +0900, James B. wrote:
> Longer-term I need to add a smarter search facility and a version of the
> API docs that allow for user comments;  I've started working with RDog (
> Nitro/Og application), so if you have knowledge of Nitro/Og/RDog (or are
> interested in learning about these things) then I could use a hand on
> some things.

I'm coming to this late, so maybe you already discussed this, but I
notice that the API Wiki links don't work (Internal server error). Is
that the TODO you're referring to above (user comments)?

Very nice job on the new site, btw :)
Zach D. (Guest)
James Edward G. II wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel  the
> new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.   Nice
> work!

I agree. The new site looks amazing! Great job to whomever did the
redesign!

Zach
James B. (Guest)
Zach D. wrote:
> James Edward G. II wrote:
>
>> Hadn't seen this mentioned here, so just wanted to say that I feel
>> the new front page of ruby-doc.org is significantly more attractive.
>> Nice work!
>>

> I agree. The new site looks amazing! Great job to whomever did the
> redesign!

That would be Dan Ritz of 30 Second Rule.

--
James B.