Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] xx-0.1.0 : xhtml and xml make it twice as dirty

Ara.T.Howard (Guest)
NAME

   xx - twice as dirty

SYNOPSIS

   ~ > gem install "double x"

   require "xx"

   include XX::XHTML

   doc = xhtml_{
     html_{
       head_{ title_{ " go xx! " } }
       body_{ " one more and it would be illegal " }
     }
   }

URI

   http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1024

DESCRIPTION

   xx is a library designed to extend ruby objects with html, xhtml, and
xml
   generation methods.  the syntax provided by xx aims to make the
generation of
   xml or xhtml as clean looking and natural as ruby it self.

   the approach taken, that of extending objects, allows natural
document
   generation while preserving access to instance data.  in essence it
provides
   ruby objects (including the top level 'main' object) an intuitive
means to
   generate various markup views of their data in a way that is correct
and
   elegant.

   xx is brought to you by the good folks at http://eparklabs.com.

SAMPLES

   <========< sample/a.rb >========>

   ~ > cat sample/a.rb

     require "xx"
     include XX::XHTML
     #
     # xx modules extend the current object to allow natural document
markup
     #
     doc = xhtml_{
       html_{
         head_{ title_{ " go xx! " } }
         body_{ " one more and it would be illegal " }
       }
     }
     puts doc.pretty

   ~ > ruby sample/a.rb

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitiona...
xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'>
           <head>
             <title> go xx! </title>
           </head>

   <========< sample/b.rb >========>

   ~ > cat sample/b.rb

     require "xx"
     #
     # xml is as easy as html.  xx extends your object very carefully,
adding an
     # one method that is not prefaced with 'xx_' : 'method_missing'.
the
     # method_missing defined is conservatively, recognizing only
methods that
end
     # with underscore ('_') as 'tag' methods intended to generate
markup. as
with
     # html, attributes may be passed to any tag method as either symbol
or
string.
     #

     class Table < ::Array
       include XX::XML
       attr "fields"
       def initialize *a, &b
         @fields = a.shift
         replace a
       end
       def self::[] *a, &b
         new *a, &b
       end
       def to_xml
         xml_{
           table_{
             each do |row|
               row_{
                 fields.zip(row) do |field, value|
                   field_(:name => field, 'width' => value.size){ value
}
                 end
               }
             end
           }
         }

     table = Table[
       %w( first_name last_name ssn ),
       %w( jane doe 424-24-2424 ),
       %w( john buck 574-86-4242 ),
     ]

     puts table.to_xml.pretty

   ~ > ruby sample/b.rb

         <?xml version='1.0'?>
           <row>
             <field name='first_name' width='4'>jane</field>
             <field name='last_name' width='3'>doe</field>
             <field name='ssn' width='11'>424-24-2424</field>
           </row>
           <row>
             <field name='first_name' width='4'>john</field>
             <field name='last_name' width='4'>buck</field>
             <field name='ssn' width='11'>574-86-4242</field>
           </row>

   <========< sample/c.rb >========>

   ~ > cat sample/c.rb

     require "xx"
     #
     # xx makes it impossible to generate invalid (syntactically)
invalid
documents
     # - unless to instruct it in insert raw html or xml using the 'h_'
or 'x_'
     # methods.  text inserted with 't_' is automatically escaped.  like
all xx
     # methods these can have one or more underscores after them in case
there
is a
     # collision with another method or the tag 'h', 'x', or 't' needs
to be
     # generated.
     #
     include XX::XML

     doc = xml_{
       root_{
         div_{ t_ "this is escaped < > & text" }
         div_{ h_ "this is raw <html>. & is not escaped" }
         div_{ x_ "<raw> xml </raw>" }
         div_{ x_{ even_{ entire_{ documents_{ "nest" } } } } }
       }
     }
     puts doc.pretty

   ~ > ruby sample/c.rb

         <?xml version='1.0'?>
         <root>
         </root>

   <========< sample/d.rb >========>

   ~ > cat sample/d.rb

     require "xx"
     #
     # xx has only a few methods which end in '_'.  these methods,
therefore,
cannot
     # be used in conjuction with method_missing to auto-generate tags.
for
those
     # methods a tag of the same method can be generated using and
escaped form,
     # namely two or more underscores always mean 'generate a tag'.
those
methods
     # are:
     #
     #   - g_
     #   - text_
     #   - t_
     #   - h_
     #   - x_
     #   - c_
     #   - at_
     #   - att_
     #   - yat_
     #
     include XX::XML

     doc = xml_{
       root_{

         t_{ "this is a text element" }
         t__{ "this is not text, but a __tag__ called t" }

         x_{ "this un-escaped & < > stuff" }
         x__{ "this is not un-escaped & < > stuff but a tag called x" }
       }
     }
     puts doc.pretty

   ~ > ruby sample/d.rb

         <?xml version='1.0'?>
         <root>this is a text element<t>this is not text, but a __tag__
called
t</t>this un-escaped & < > stuff<x>this is not un-escaped &amp; &lt;
&gt; stuff
but a tag called x</x>
         </root>

HISTORY

   0.1.0:
     - added the "g_" method, which generates any tag
                                                    ^
         g_("anytag", "key" => "value"){ b_{ "bold" } }

     - added at_ and att_ methods to parse yaml and k=v strings as
hashes.

         at_("src : image.jpg, width : 100%")

           #=> {"src"=>"image.jpg", "width"=> "100%"}

   0.0.0:
     - initial version

AUTHORS

   dan fitzpatrick <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
   ara.t.howard <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

BUGS

   please send bug reports to /dev/null.  patches to addresses above.
;-)

LICENSE

   ePark Labs Public License version 1 Copyright (c) 2005, ePark Labs,
Inc. and
   contributors All rights reserved.

   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

     1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice,
     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

     2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright
notice,
     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation
     and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

     3. Neither the name of ePark Labs nor the names of its contributors
may be
     used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without
     specific prior written permission.

   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS"
   AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE
   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
ARE
   DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE
   FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
   DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
GOODS OR
   SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER
   CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY,
   OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF
THE USE
   OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

enjoy.

-a
--
sleep is the best meditation.  -- h.h. the 14th dali lama
Corey J. (Guest)

Corey