Forum: Ruby on Rails PDF::SimpleTable performance issues

Jonathan D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-24 23:21
Hello,

I am having performance issues ending with a 'time out' from Apache when
I try to generate a PDF file using pdf-writer.

It seems to happen at the render_on(pdf) function call ; the table I am
trying to draw has 8 colums which values are generated on the fly.

Can't find anything about pdf-writer and the 'time out' on the Web so
far.

Any ideas ? Anybody experienced the same issue ?
Is there any more friendly user and faster PDF generation tool ?

Thank's,
Jonathan.
Andrew S. (Guest)
I've ran into this error with fop and java (years ago).  I haven't tried
generating "large" pdf files with PDF::Writer.

In the jsp/java world I had a popup window that would refresh every 5
seconds or so to avoid the timeout issue.  I don't know if ror has a
built-in solution for this.
Jonathan D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-25 09:54
This might be a trick, but the table I create is certainly not big : 8
columns (and only 4 are dynamic) and 2 rows.
The final pdf file contains half a page.
Austin Z. (Guest)
On 25/01/06, Jonathan DERROUGH <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> This might be a trick, but the table I create is certainly not big : 8
> columns (and only 4 are dynamic) and 2 rows.
> The final pdf file contains half a page.

Have you tried timing how long it takes to create the document in a
command-line mode?

-austin
--
Austin Z. * removed_email_address@domain.invalid
               * Alternate: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> Have you tried timing how long it takes to create the document in a
> command-line mode?

 Nope, I am using Rails with Apache and FastCGI, and I am having trouble
with the 'console' script.
I will try to fix it tonight and get the timing.