Forum: Ruby on Rails Laszlo on Rails, Flash GUI

Christer N. (Guest)
on 2006-01-24 20:51
Ruby Forum Search did not work, and I did not find any postings about
http://laszlo-plugin.rubyforge.org/. OpenLaszlo is a framework handling
the GUI part, or the V in MVC. See
http://www.laszlosystems.com/lps/laszlo-in-ten-minutes/ for info about
Laszlo itself.

My question is, does anybody have experience with this framework,
especially combined with Rails?

Or, could I get some of the best Rails with Ajax links. I'm involved in
a huge project with hundreds of tables and heavy GUI usage, and need
some input to be able to convince the customer to try Rails.

I think the weak/hard spot with Rails is the GUI.

Christer
Francois B. (Guest)
Hi !

2006/1/24, Christer N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> My question is, does anybody have experience with this framework,
> especially combined with Rails?

I do have some experience.  I recoded part of the Laszlo Dashboard
example to grab the data from a Rails view.  What kind of questions do
you have ?

In the Rails app, I coded an XML view, and used Laszlo's dataset to
connect to it.  I needed authentication, so I had to pass parameters
to the Laszlo app, in the form of query parameters.  That allowed the
Laszlo GUI to reuse the same cookies as the Rails GUI.

Hope that helps !
Bakki K. (Guest)
Michael Pence et al,, have started a project to do just that. If you
search
the ruby-forum you should find all the discussions up to date and how
you
might contribute to the effort.
-bakki kudva
Christer N. (Guest)
on 2006-01-25 00:47
Francois B. wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I do have some experience.  I recoded part of the Laszlo Dashboard
> example to grab the data from a Rails view.  What kind of questions do
> you have ?

I just would like to get some input if this is a good combination.
Thanks for the lead to Michael Pence.

Christer
Mike P. (Guest)
Thanks for the excuse to pimp our project again. The Laszlo on Rails
project (http://groups.google.com/group/laszlo-on-rails) is now 145
members strong and Oliver's contributions give us a huge head start.
We are out to take the greatness that is Ruby on Rails and the
greatness that is Laszlo and make adding rich media to your site --
including animations, audio and video -- as simple as adding any other
AJAX technology.

As I have said before, Web 2.0 is *so* last year. Join us as we go one
better!

Mike P.