Forum: Ruby RMagick gets face-lift, book and movie deal

Timothy H. (Guest)
I've just uploaded RMagick 1.10.0 to RubyForge.  This is the first major
release of RMagick since last October.  This release includes the
following changes:

o New methods in the Image class
     add_noise_channel: Add noise to specified image channels
     vignette: An RMagick example makes its way into the ImageMagick
API!
         Soften the edges of an image to produce an oval vignette.
     crop_resized: Create a thumbnail with an exact size (thanks Jerret
         Taylor!)
     export_pixels_to_str
         Super-fast export pixel data to a string buffer

o New Colorspace enumeration values for the Cineon and DPX image formats

o All known bugs fixed

o Removed the feature tests for unsupported releases of ImageMagick,
   producing a faster configuration step. The configure script ensures
   that the installed version of ImageMagick is one that RMagick
   supports.

o RMagick checks at execution time to ensure that the version of
   ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick in use is the same as the version for
   which it was configured.

RMagick News
============

Apress's new book, _The Definitive Guide to ImageMagick_, by Michael
Still, devotes a chapter to using ImageMagick from Ruby programs via
RMagick.

The GraphicsMagick project is auditioning for the motion-picture
post-production business by adding support for industry-standard image
formats to the upcoming 1.2 release. The scripting interface of choice
is Ruby (of course!) via RMagick.

What is RMagick?
================

RMagick is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) and
GraphicsMagick (www.graphicsmagick.org) image processing libraries.
These libraries support more than 90 image formats, including GIF, JPEG,
PNG. RMagick includes RVG, a 2D drawing API and has comprehensive HTML
documentation.

RMagick 1.10.0 is available as always from RubyForge:
http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick
anne001 (Guest)
I have installed Rmagick on my tiger with
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoInsta...
I read that some folks have had difficulty, but it seems to work fine
for me. I was able to run a ruby example which uses it.

It is good to knwo there is a book on it, I will try to get it to see
what Rmagick does!
Micha Magen (Guest)
Cool!  Win-32 version (binary gem) planned anytime soon?
Timothy H. (Guest)
Micha Magen wrote:
> Cool!  Win-32 version (binary gem) planned anytime soon?

For that we are in Kaspar S.'s Win32-black-belt hands...