Ruby at O'Reilly Rough Cuts

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book are now available for purchase at
O’Reilly Rough Cuts (something akin to PragProg’s beta book program):

http://rubyurl.com/nHz

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/?mode=roughcuts&srchtext=ROUGHCUTS

I haven’t tried them yet, but it definitely seems worth checking out.

-Pawel

On 1/23/06, Pawel S. [email protected] wrote:

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book are now available for purchase at
O’Reilly Rough Cuts (something akin to PragProg’s beta book program):

http://rubyurl.com/nHz

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/?mode=roughcuts&srchtext=ROUGHCUTS

I haven’t tried them yet, but it definitely seems worth checking out.

I just noticed these today. However, the table of contents doesn’t
really sell it for me. I can’t see what I’d be getting that isn’t
already in the Agile book.

As a long time supporter of O’Reilly (full Safari subscription, 100+
paper books, etc.), I’m looking forward to the new Manning Rails book
a lot more.

– James

On 1/23/06, Pawel S. [email protected] wrote:

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book

Who are the authors of these books?

On 1/23/06, Mark V. [email protected] wrote:

On 1/23/06, Pawel S. [email protected] wrote:

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book

Who are the authors of these books?

Well, I know that the Ruby Cookbook is the one being worked on by
Leonard Richardson and Lucas Carlson. I think it’s been brought up on
this list in the past.

See this URL: http://www.crummy.com/writing/RubyCookbook/

I’m not sure about the Rails book. You bring up a good point though -
I wonder why the author names aren’t listed there?

-Pawel

On 1/23/06, Mark V. [email protected] wrote:

Who are the authors of these books?

Amazon.com claims that Bruce Tate and David Geary are the authors of
the Rails book. Leonard Richardson and Lucas Carlson are the authors
of the Ruby Cookbook.

Can’t find the author of the cook book but the rails book is written by
Bruce A. Tate and Curt H…

I got a copy of each book, the layout is very readable (doesn’t hold a
candle to the pragmatic beta books layout, those are great). Cookbook
has
interesting little code snippets then talks about what was done, very
concise. Rails books looks like a basic tutorial on rails has some nice
screenshots built in so you can see what its supposed to look like when
you
perform a function, etc. If any one wants more info let me know and
when I
have a chance to read more I’ll post some info.

-David T.

Mark V. wrote:

On 1/23/06, Pawel S. [email protected] wrote:

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book

Who are the authors of these books?

Ruby Cookbook: Rough Cuts Version
By Leonard Richardson, Lucas Carlson

Ruby on Rails: Up and Running: Rough Cuts Version
By Bruce A. Tate, Curt H.

James B.

Ruby Code & Style - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

Just purchased the Ruby Cookbook from the rough cuts program, and so far
pretty dissapointed with it - based purely on the quality of O’reillys
process so far.

The pdf has no table of contents, no appendix, ugly formatting, no
internal hyperlinks (that I’ve found at least), and wastes nearly 1/5 of
each page with copyright garbage on the top and bottom of each page.

Hopefully the content will be worth the aggravation of navigating
through this mess.

Guess i’ve been spoiled by the pragmatic beta books.

–Eldon

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it would appear that both the
Ruby Cookbook and a Rails book are now available for purchase at
O’Reilly Rough Cuts (something akin to PragProg’s beta book program):

http://rubyurl.com/nHz

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/?mode=roughcuts&srchtext=ROUGHCUTS

I haven’t tried them yet, but it definitely seems worth checking out.

-Pawel

It does say it on the official roughcut site …

http://www.oreilly.com/roughcuts/

Ruby on Rails: Up and Running: Rough Cuts Version
By Bruce A. Tate, Curt H.

Ruby Cookbook: Rough Cuts Version
By Leonard Richardson, Lucas Carlson

  • Jon

I just bought the Rails book and on first glance it’s the same. Not
much
new that hasn’t already been done before in the Agile book, it’s a 56
page
draft. Guess I didn’t read the fine print, I figured for $15 you’d get
something that sucks less, relatively speaking.

Yeah that kind of sucks. Other publishers are trying to jump on the
beta book bandwagon that the Pragmatic Programmers have done so
nicely. They won’t release a book as a beta pdf until it is 50-60%
complete or more. So you wont get the buyers remorse when you get a
beta book from the prag’s.

Cheers-
Ezra

On Jan 23, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Ted K. wrote:

–Eldon
O’Reilly Rough Cuts (something akin to PragProg’s beta book program):
[email protected]

Rails mailing list

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
[email protected]

I can echo most of the disappointment here. I find the text
unreadable (too small, too light) and the huge header and footer
(which repeat at least 2 or 3 pieces of information) are on Every.
Damn. Page.

Also, as I mentioned on the Rails blog, there’s no table of contents
in the PDF. Please. Don’t ever publish a 544 page technical
manual without a table of contents.

The upside is that it can really only get better. But, I agree, the
PragProgs are the kings of this.