Forum: Ruby on Rails Web Hosting Options?

Jimmy B. (Guest)
on 2006-01-23 04:00
Can someone recommend a good web host for ROR?
Antonio C. (Guest)
on 2006-01-23 05:02
Jimmy Brock wrote:
> Can someone recommend a good web host for ROR?

Hi Jimmy,
I wrote a small review that I hope can help you:
http://www.antoniocangiano.com/articles/2006/01/01...

Cheers,
Antonio
Jon S. (Guest)
On 1/22/06, Antonio C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Jimmy Brock wrote:
> > Can someone recommend a good web host for ROR?
>
> Hi Jimmy,
> I wrote a small review that I hope can help you:
> http://www.antoniocangiano.com/articles/2006/01/01...

Three coupon codes for dreamhost.com:
777
888
BEST

Try all three and see which one gives you the best deal since the
various promotions are not always active. You need to sign up for 12
months of the $9.95 package before they will work. The codes will
waive the setup fee and take $70-100 off the one year total. Best deal
is 777 if it is working, twelve months for a total on $9.24
($0.77/mth) with no setup fee. Dreamhost pays $100 account referral
commissions and these codes effectively let you keep your own
comission.

Dreamhost is not a perfect host but you can't beat $0.77/mth for a
place to practice with your Rails app.

> Cheers,
> Antonio
>
> --

Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Jon S. (Guest)
> On 1/22/06, Antonio C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Jimmy Brock wrote:
> > > Can someone recommend a good web host for ROR?
> >
> > Hi Jimmy,
> > I wrote a small review that I hope can help you:
> > http://www.antoniocangiano.com/articles/2006/01/01...
Dreamhost has changed their base $9.95 deal from the terms described
in this review.

DreamHost  	4.7  	120  	$9.95  -- old deal
DreamHost     20.0    1000    $9.95 ($0.77 with coupon)  -- new deal

There are 175 accounts on my shared server. As far as I can tell only
one or two of them actually gets any traffic.

--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Bob S.
Jon S. (Guest)
On 1/22/06, Bob S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The 777 code does work. Not a bad deal, but be ready to pay the $119 next
> year if your site lives that long.

It is a good place to practice and run a small site. For a significant
commercial site I would look for some place with higher reliability.

777 gets turned off if enough people are signing up, but keep trying
it comes and goes. There is also 888 and BEST but they aren't quite as
good of deal.

--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
     > There are 175 accounts on my shared server.
    > As far as I can tell only  one or two of them actually gets any
traffic.

How did you find this out?

Alain
Nick Pavlica (Guest)
You may be able to give this a try depending on how the box is set up.

  # who | wc -l
Alain R. (Guest)
Nick
    >   # who | wc -l

'man' says:
    who - show who is logged on
, so it's not the number of accounts.

ls  /home
      =>  750 directories. My own was redirected to what looks like a
server name '.geraldine'.
ls  /home/.geraldine
      => 45 directories, with only a few ones that look like accounts'
name.

Alain
Chris Korhonen (Guest)
I'm having good experiences with site5.com, very good customer service
and
excellent admin interface.