Forum: Ruby on Rails Formatting input/output of a text box

Dave H. (Guest)
Hello,

What's the best way to handle formating of a text_area? I have a
text_area
in my rails app where people can leave comments and I'd like to
automatically convert the line breaks into <br /> tags, or just simply
wrap
a whole paragraph in <p></p> tags. I'm currently doing the following in
my
comments controller to insert line breaks when the user presses <ENTER>
within the text_area, however I know there has to be a better way.

comment_body = @comment.body
comment_body.gsub!( /(.*)(\n)/, '\1<br />' )
@comment.body = comment_body

Thanks!
Dave H.
Gerard P. (Guest)
Dave,

This one works for output and goes straight in the view:

<%= todo.description.gsub "\n",'<br />' %>

With this in a list action:

def list_todos
	@todos

	# lot of parms not necesarry ofcourse
	@todo_pages, @todos = paginate(:todos, options={:per_page => 10, :order
=>
'prio DESC'})
end

Regards,

Gerard.

On Monday 23 January 2006 00:49, Dave H. tried to type something
like:

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

My $Grtz =~ Gerard;
~
:wq!
Bob S. (Guest)
I think you would be better off to leave the raw data (maybe you want to
email the comment some day??) alone and only translate the line feeds to
br's in your views when presenting the data. Use Gerards response to do
that.

Bob S.
Dave H. (Guest)
That's a good idea. I never thought about that. I think I will leave it
in
it's raw form and use Gerard's way.

Thanks Bob,
Dave