Forum: Ruby Basic Inheritance questions {noob alert:- pickaxe ed. 2, pag

John M. (Guest)
Chaps,

Say you have a class Song. You'd make a file for that class with the
following;

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
class Song
  def initialize(name, artist, duration)
    # define instance variables
    @name = name
    @artist = artist
    @duration = duration
  end

  def to_s
    # method for displaying these instancess
  "Song: #@name--#@artist (#@duration)"

# test the class by creating a new object
#song = Song.new("Bicylops", "Fleck", 260)
#song.inspect

Now it's time to make a "child" class....

jayeola@tp20$ cat class_KaraokeSong.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
class KaraokeSong < Song
  def initialize(name, artist, duration, lyrics)
    super(name, artist, duration)
    @lyrics = lyrics
  end

#  def to_s
#    # method for displaying these instancess
#  "Song: #@name--#@artist (#@duration)"
#  end
end

When I created the parent it was simple to `irb` and then `require
class_Song.rb`.

How would one use this child class? Not quite clear from the Pickaxe
book. Do I create a new file for KaraokeSong as I have done or have
both the "super" and "child" in the same file?

 --
John M.
MSc (DIC)

In order for KaraokeSong < Song to work, this method needs to return
true:
Object.const_defined?(:Song)
That will be the case with each of the three possibilities above.

Good luck, and have fun,
--Wilson.
John M. (Guest)
Thanks for that speedy reply. I've decided to require the within the
child. One thing to note is that when I do require the child irb shows
the following..

cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_KaraokeSong.rb

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'class_Song.rb'

# test if this class has been loaded correctly
Object.const_defined?(:Song)

class KaraokeSong < Song
  def to_s
    super + " [#@lyrics]"

irb(main):011:0> require 'class_KaraokeSong.rb'
=> false

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:28:25 +0900 Wilson B.
Eero S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-21 00:39
John M. wrote:
> Thanks for that speedy reply. I've decided to require the within the
> child. One thing to note is that when I do require the child irb shows
> the following..
>
> cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_KaraokeSong.rb
>
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> require 'class_Song.rb'
>
> # test if this class has been loaded correctly
> Object.const_defined?(:Song)
>
> class KaraokeSong < Song
>   def to_s
>     super + " [#@lyrics]"
>   end
> end
>
> irb(main):011:0> require 'class_KaraokeSong.rb'
> => false

Getting a 'false' in irb means the file is already
loaded (a LoadError would be raised if the file could
not be found); if you want, you can use

  load 'song.rb'

This will reload the file each time (seldomly necessary).

As a compatibility-note, you could make your filenames
all lowercase_and_underscored. This will thwart any
case sensitivity issues.

John M. (Guest)
Thanks for another fast response. Inheritance - I'm going to get this
-tonight-!

recap;
# the parent class
cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_Song.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
class Song
  def initialize(name, artist, duration)
    # define instance variables
    @name = name
    @artist = artist
    @duration = duration
  end

  def to_s
    # method for displaying these instancess
  "Song: #@name--#@artist (#@duration)"

# the child class

jayeola@tp20$ cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_KaraokeSong.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'class_Song.rb'

# test if this class has been loaded correctly
Object.const_defined?(:Song)

class KaraokeSong < Song
  def initialize(name, artist, duration, lyrics)
    super(name, artist, duration)
    @lyrics = lyrics
  end

  def to_s
    super + " [#@lyrics]"

#song = KaraokeSong.new("My Way", "Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")
#song = KaraokeSong.new("Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")
#song.to_s
#song.inspect

How do we get KaraokeSong to acquire it's parent's attributes -without-
hadrcoding "def initialize(name, artist, duration, lyrics)", unless one
has to? From the book I get the impression that you can get away with
specifying the child's stuff and that it will take properties from it's
parent with the keyword super....
Eero S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-21 01:13
John M. wrote:
> Thanks for another fast response. Inheritance - I'm going to get this
> -tonight-!
>
> recap;
> # the parent class
> cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_Song.rb
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> class Song
>   def initialize(name, artist, duration)
>     # define instance variables
>     @name = name
>     @artist = artist
>     @duration = duration
>   end
>
>   def to_s
>     # method for displaying these instancess
>   "Song: #@name--#@artist (#@duration)"
>   end
> end
>
> # the child class
>
> jayeola@tp20$ cat fx/ruby/chap3/class_KaraokeSong.rb
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> require 'class_Song.rb'
>
> # test if this class has been loaded correctly
> Object.const_defined?(:Song)
>
> class KaraokeSong < Song
>   def initialize(name, artist, duration, lyrics)
>     super(name, artist, duration)
>     @lyrics = lyrics
>   end
>
>   def to_s
>     super + " [#@lyrics]"
>   end
> end
>
> #song = KaraokeSong.new("My Way", "Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")
> #song = KaraokeSong.new("Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")
> #song.to_s
> #song.inspect
>

> How do we get KaraokeSong to acquire it's parent's attributes -without-
> hadrcoding "def initialize(name, artist, duration, lyrics)", unless one
> has to? From the book I get the impression that you can get away with
> specifying the child's stuff and that it will take properties from it's
> parent with the keyword super....

If the child needs additional parameters (or otherwise overrides
the corresponding method in the parent class), you must* define
the method in the child (super will run the parent's method like
in your #initialize above). When the parent's behaviour is adequate,
you do not need to define a method, it is automatically inherited.

An alternative would be to just have an accessor for @lyrics; that
way you would not need to define #initialize, but you would need to
call #lyrics= to set the lyrics initially., which on the surface
would seem the more cumbersome way.

* Not strictly true; you could circumvent this with some careful
  metaprogramming but it really is not worth it in this situation.
John M. (Guest)
I'm sorry I still don't get it. (To be honest I think that I can narrow
down this problem to the book not having all of the code in a single
place)...

I can understand that for example (p27) is telling us that there's a
"right way" and "wrong way" to specify methods for child instances.. so
what's wrong with this?

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'class_Song.rb'

# test if this class has been loaded correctly
Object.const_defined?(:Song)

class KaraokeSong < Song
  # grab all the properties from the parent but add another instance
variable
  def initialize(lyrics)
    @lyrics = lyrics
  end

  def to_s
    super + " [#@lyrics]"

song = KaraokeSong.new("And now, the...")
#song = KaraokeSong.new("My Way", "Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")
song.inspect
song.to_s
puts song

The above has not specified a name, artist and duration - but that's
 coming from the parent class, is it not?

jayeola@tp20$ ruby -w class_KaraokeSong.rb
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @name not initialized
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @artist not initialized
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @duration not initialized
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @name not initialized
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @artist not initialized
./class_Song.rb:12: warning: instance variable @duration not initialized
Song: -- () [And now, the...]

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:37:03 +0900
Mike S. (Guest)
On 20-Jan-06, at 7:11 PM, John M. wrote:

> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> require 'class_Song.rb'
>
> # test if this class has been loaded correctly
> Object.const_defined?(:Song)
>
> class KaraokeSong < Song
>   # grab all the properties from the parent but add another instance
> variable
>   def initialize(lyrics)

... shouldn't you have a call like

      super('','','')

here to initialise the parent class variables?

--

Mike S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
http://www.stok.co.uk/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.

--

Mike S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
http://www.stok.co.uk/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.
Eero S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-21 03:36
John M. wrote:
> I'm sorry I still don't get it. (To be honest I think that I can narrow
> down this problem to the book not having all of the code in a single
> place)...
>
> I can understand that for example (p27) is telling us that there's a
> "right way" and "wrong way" to specify methods for child instances.. so
> what's wrong with this?
>
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> require 'class_Song.rb'
>
> # test if this class has been loaded correctly
> Object.const_defined?(:Song)
>
> class KaraokeSong < Song
>   # grab all the properties from the parent but add another instance
> variable
>   def initialize(lyrics)
>     @lyrics = lyrics
>   end
>
>   def to_s
>     super + " [#@lyrics]"
>   end
> end
>
> song = KaraokeSong.new("And now, the...")
> #song = KaraokeSong.new("My Way", "Sinatra", 225, "And now, the...")

There is no #initialize method that takes four parameters
at this point (see below).

> song.inspect
> song.to_s
> puts song
>
> The above has not specified a name, artist and duration - but that's
>  coming from the parent class, is it not?

All you are getting from the parent class are the actual
variables and an #initialize method that takes three parameters.
In your child class, you define a new #initialize that only takes
one parameter (overriding the one from the parent class) so that
all KaraokeSong.new can see is the one with just one parameter.

Even if the child class had a method looking like this:

  def initialize(lyrics)
    super
    @lyrics = lyrics
  end

The problem would still be that the method itself does not
take more than one parameter and you would see an error if
you tried to pass it four. So the correct way indeed is to
have your child class with an #initialize that takes all
four parameters and then call #super with the three parameters
that must go to the parent- (or super-) class.

> < Warning messages elided />

John M. (Guest)
Thanks. The child is behaving at last ;)

I think that I'll be grabbing a new book once I find one with slightly
clearer descriptions and code base.

Now I understand that one must declare (if that's the right word), all
of the instance variables in for a child class and any variables that
it will inherit from it's parent. Do the same for the child's method.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:00:04 +0900 Eero
Robert K. (Guest)
2006/1/20, John M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Object.const_defined?(:Song)
This test is completely superfluous. First, you don't do anything with
the return value and second the next line will throw anyway:

> class KaraokeSong < Song
>   def to_s
>     super + " [#@lyrics]"
>   end
> end
>
> irb(main):011:0> require 'class_KaraokeSong.rb'
> => false

This just indicates that the file has been required already.

Kind regards

robert