Forum: Ruby on Rails Calendar date picker for use with rails.

Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-01-20 14:37
Howdy folks,

As I was putting together a rough form for a rails app, I got to
thinking how much smoother (in my siytuation) a little calendar widget
would be than the default date picker selects.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists ?

I suspect it would have to be somewhat designed with rails in mind to
populate the right kind of post params for convenient use at the
controller end.   Without that, I guess a little controller magic to
unpack whatever format a generic javascript calendar widget generated,
wouldn't be too much trouble.

Might make a nice alternative to date_select.

Thoughts, suggestions(*), howls of derisive laughter welcomed.

Alan
(*)aside from the "great idea, you should get right on that"
variety...my javascript chops are nonexistent :-S
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-01-20 14:42
Alan F. wrote:

> Does anyone know if such a thing exists ?

http://projects.exactlyoneturtle.com/date_picker/#

Doh!  Amazing what a difference searching for "date picker rails" made
over searching for "calendar widget rails".

Alan
Kevin O. (Guest)
on 2006-01-20 15:15
Alan F. wrote:
> Alan F. wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if such a thing exists ?
>>

> http://projects.exactlyoneturtle.com/date_picker/#
>
> Doh!  Amazing what a difference searching for "date picker rails" made
> over searching for "calendar widget rails".
>
> Alan

This one is pretty good too.... http://datebox.inimit.com/

It also lets you do things like "+1 week"

_Kevin
Sky Y. (Guest)
I prefer this one: http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/
It's open sourced and with beautiful theme support.

On 1/20/06, Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Blog >>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/skyincookoo
Nick S. (Guest)
Going to agree with Sky on this one. Just recently added this calendar
to a couple of apps of mine and its worked great!
Jarkko L. (Guest)
On 20.1.2006, at 15.29, Nick S. wrote:

> Going to agree with Sky on this one. Just recently added this calendar
> to a couple of apps of mine and its worked great!

The one Kevin mentioned uses the Dynarch calendar. In addition, it
supports some cool freehand input like "tomorrow" etc.

//jarkko

--
Jarkko L.
http://jlaine.net

-Will
Peter A. (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 01:46
I've had a look at the Dynarch calendar and it looks really nice. I'm
new to rails  and I'm wondering how I can convert a scaffold form tied
to a table with with the normal default rails date selector to one with
the Dynarch Calendar so that it updates the datefield in the database?

Many thanks in advance
Beate P. (Guest)
Peter,

try the Bundled Resource Plugin:

http://blog.inquirylabs.com/index.php?s=Bundled+Re...

There is a helper for the Dynarch calendar.

Beate
Peter A. (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 02:13
Hi Beate,

Thanks very much for that. As soon as I get it to work I'll post some
sample code.

Peter
Kevin O. (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 02:51
Peter Aszkenasy wrote:
> Hi Beate,
>
> Thanks very much for that. As soon as I get it to work I'll post some
> sample code.
>
> Peter

I think the Dynarch Calendar picker has been incorporated into the
Datebox Engine (see http://rails-engines.org)

_Kevin
Peter A. (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 14:16
Kevin O. wrote:
> Peter Aszkenasy wrote:
>> Hi Beate,
>>
>> Thanks very much for that. As soon as I get it to work I'll post some
>> sample code.
>>
>> Peter
>
> I think the Dynarch Calendar picker has been incorporated into the
> Datebox Engine (see http://rails-engines.org)
>
> _Kevin

Kevin

I've had a look at the rails engine version, it uses the following as
its engine,

http://datebox.inimit.com/

Also, its not clear from the documentation how you tie it to a database
table field.

Peter
Bala P. (Guest)
Can this calendar be used with JSF?

--- Beate P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> try the Bundled Resource Plugin:
>
> http://blog.inquirylabs.com/index.php?s=Bundled+Re...
>
> There is a helper for the Dynarch calendar.
>
> Beate

http://www.ProblemSolvingSkill.net
Hone your problem-solving skills
Peter A. (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 23:29
Hi Beate,

Many thanks for that. With rails 1.1.2 and Bundled Resource v 0.9 I was
able to get the following working. Here's the partial form for my test
app t1

<% require_bundle :dynarch_calendar %>
<%= error_messages_for 't1' %>
<!--[form:t1]-->
<%= dynarch_date_select 't1', 'start_date' %></p>

<%= text_field 't1', 'description'  %></p>
<!--[eoform:t1]-->

And here's the associated layout file with all the necessary includes

<head>
  <title>T1s: <%= controller.action_name %></title>
  <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'scaffold' %>
  <%= javascript_include_tag :defaults %>
  <%= stylesheet_auto_link_tags %>
  <%= javascript_auto_include_tags %>
</head>

<%= @content_for_layout %>

I've openned another thread to see if anyone else is using the
dynarch_date_select to see if I've got the above code right.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/67304

Anyway, my code seems to work:)