Forum: Ruby on Rails postgres db setup

Craig W. (Guest)
All of the tutorials and the Agile book use MySQL and I've got that
working. I am now trying to use PostgreSQL and can't seem to get going.

Is my problem the db setup in postgresql?

I have installed postgres-pr

The error message when I try to access http://localhost:3000/clients
when using PostgreSQL (MySQL works fine)

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (RuntimeError:
ERROR     C42501  Mpermission denied for relation
clients Faclchk.c       L987    Raclcheck_error: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
clients ):
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.13.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:88:in
`log'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.13.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:137:in
`execute'

*** there's more but I didn't think I needed to ***

Postgres setup...
CREATE TABLE clients (
    id serial primary key NOT NULL,
    first_name character varying(25) NOT NULL,
    middle_initial character varying(1) NOT NULL,
    last_name character varying(25) NOT NULL,
    gov_id character varying(18) NOT NULL,
    dob date
);

MySQL setup
CREATE TABLE `clients` (
  `id` int(8) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `first_name` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
  `middle_initial` char(1) NOT NULL default '',
  `last_name` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
  `gov_id` varchar(18) default NULL,
  `dob` date default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
Tom M. (Guest)
On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Craig W. wrote:

> Is my problem the db setup in postgresql?

I think so...

> ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (RuntimeError:
> ERROR     C42501  Mpermission denied for relation

Well, that's pretty clear...

What user did you login as to create the tables? The
same user you configured into Rails?

Did you give a GRANT command of any sort?

> CREATE TABLE clients (
>     id serial primary key NOT NULL,
>     first_name character varying(25) NOT NULL,
>     middle_initial character varying(1) NOT NULL,
>     last_name character varying(25) NOT NULL,
>     gov_id character varying(18) NOT NULL,
>     dob date
> );

I don't think it's related to the error, but gov_id
should be an INT4, if you're planning on using Rails'
conventions.

And, if you're not planning on using Rails'
conventions at the beginning of a project, you're
making a mistake.

P.S. Check out the migrations video on the RoR
      website. I held out for a while (avoiding
      learning yet another brand new concept) but
      I just finished converting my schema to an
      initial migration and it's very, very cool.

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:00 -0500, Tom M. wrote:

> What user did you login as to create the tables? The
> same user you configured into Rails?
----
duh - I would swear that I checked this out many times but it turns out
that this must be the issue as it worked when I set the user to postgres
----

> Did you give a GRANT command of any sort?
----
probably during many of the create/drop cycles and didn't this last
time. Obviously this will be the solution to my problem. Thanks
----
> I don't think it's related to the error, but gov_id
> should be an INT4, if you're planning on using Rails'
> conventions.
----
I lacked the right term for it when I was creating it - it's not a
social security number and not really a number at all, but sometimes
letters and numbers which I see as a text string.
----

> And, if you're not planning on using Rails'
> conventions at the beginning of a project, you're
> making a mistake.
>
> P.S. Check out the migrations video on the RoR
>       website. I held out for a while (avoiding
>       learning yet another brand new concept) but
>       I just finished converting my schema to an
>       initial migration and it's very, very cool.
----
I'm starting from scratch and in the meantime plowing through the Agile
book and haven't gotten to migrations yet but I did see the video and
thought it cool. Obviously I am going to have a lot of iterations before
I get any real work done but I wanted to start playing with it since
that is the only way I will learn and all of the demonstrations use
MySQL and I want to get to PostgreSQL and away from MySQL and you have
enabled me to do that...thanks

Craig