Forum: Ruby on Rails -517611318:Fixnum ... WTF?

Kyle M. (Guest)
I'm getting occasional errors that look like:

Some method called for -517611318:Fixnum

The method is constantly changing, and this error happens on ~5% of
the page loads on my Mac Tiger development box.  It's happening on
Ruby 1.8.2, and 1.8.4 compiled from source.  I haven't seen it on my
Linux production boxes.  I was wondering if anyone had seen this
before?

--
Kyle M.
Chief Technologist

/B

--
Bruno M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Currently in: Sydney, Australia

Cheers,

-DF
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 18, 2006, at 5:07 PM, David F. wrote:

> Apparently this can happen if you've compiled ruby using GCC 4.0.  Run
> 'gcc_select 3.3' and recompile/reinstall, it should remove the
> problem.  Don't forget to run 'gcc_select 4.0' afterwards though!

This is not a guaranteed fix, GCC 4 just makes the problem more easy
to encounter.  See the ruby-core archives.

Also note you may have linking problems with libraries built using a
different version of GCC.

--
Eric H. - removed_email_address@domain.invalid - http://segment7.net

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com