Forum: Ruby on Rails The 30 year old *Ruby* Virgin

Barry James (Guest)
on 2006-01-19 00:19
All,

Apologies for the simplicity of the problem but getting started with
InstantRails.

Does anyone have any experience of setup in this way?

Get to the:

    * Click on the Start SCGI button.

    * Once the SCGI server says that it is listening to 127.0.0.1:9999,
open
      our browser and go to:

      www.mycookbook.com

Unfortunately once I press the button, a DOS cmd window pops up and
there's nothing after that!

The only anomoly with the instructions was that Apache wouldn't start as
another appl was using its port. I started the apache.exe file manually
and all was fine!

Any help would be appreciated

Barry
James B. (Guest)
Barry James wrote:

>     * Once the SCGI server says that it is listening to 127.0.0.1:9999,
> open
>       our browser and go to:
>
>       www.mycookbook.com
>
> Unfortunately once I press the button, a DOS cmd window pops up and
> there's nothing after that!

That DOS box is, I believe, the scgi script.

> The only anomoly with the instructions was that Apache wouldn't start as
> another appl was using its port. I started the apache.exe file manually
> and all was fine!

Which apache did you start?  Instant Rails has its own, with its own
config files.  If you have other instances of apache they need to be
shut down, and the Rails apache started though the Rails widget.  (The
key is to be sure that you have the right apache running, and that it
knows where to find the SCGI process and your Rails app).

You also need to be sure to edit your hosts file so that 127.0.0.1 maps
to www.mycookbook.com

I helped a friend get Instant Rails running, and it was pretty
straightforward. I then tried on my own WinXP box, with assorted
problems, as I already had Apache, MySQL, Ruby, and Rails installed and
running.  I've figured out little things to do to switch from one set-up
to another, but I need to be sure there are no competing services in
play.

James B.