Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby and Flash?

Tom D. (Guest)
Hi there,

I have an idea for a game I want to build, but it requires Flash as the
presentation layer (I'd want to do the back end in Ruby running on
Rails.) I have not been able to find any info on the integration of the
two, and someone suggested asking here. Any info would be appreciated.
Any links to examples would be great too.

Thanks - please make sure you respond to me directly via email.

Tom
Roberto S. (Guest)
ruby and flash work great together. If the UI is fulll flash, then you
will
need to write your own serialization framework in actionscript and your
rendering in rails or wait for http://actionstep.org/ which has some
experimental rails support. If your UI is HTML, AJAX and Flash mixed and
your clients have Flasplayer 8 and if it is no problem for you, if
safari is
not supported, then you should take at look at http://aflax.org/.
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
Or you could use OpenLaszlo at http://www.openlaszlo.org/, as it now
compiles to standalone SWF movies and it's great for data-driven
flash apps, a lot better than Flash and ActionScript actually. You'll
need to feed it XML from your RoR app. You'll find some examples on
their site.

On 18 Jan 2006, at 16:27, Roberto S. wrote:

> I have an idea for a game I want to build, but it requires Flash as
> the presentation layer (I'd want to do the back end in Ruby running
> on Rails.) I have not been able to find any info on the integration
> of the two, and someone suggested asking here. Any info would be
> appreciated. Any links to examples would be great too.
>
> Thanks - please make sure you respond to me directly via email.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Mike P. (Guest)
You might want to check out the Laszlo on Rails project. We are
working to make Flash/OpenLaszlo applications integrate with Rails
seemlessly. We have made some great strides already.

By this time next week or so we should have scaffolding generation on
Flash to show off...

Mail group is http://groups.google.com/group/laszlo-on-rails/

Mike P.
Project leader, Laszlo on Rails
ian kennedy (Guest)
on 2006-01-19 23:29
Mike P. wrote:
> You might want to check out the Laszlo on Rails project. We are
> working to make Flash/OpenLaszlo applications integrate with Rails
> seemlessly. We have made some great strides already.
>
> By this time next week or so we should have scaffolding generation on
> Flash to show off...
>
> Mail group is http://groups.google.com/group/laszlo-on-rails/
>
> Mike P.
> Project leader, Laszlo on Rails

nice, mike. i'll definitely be following your progress.

in the meantime, for simple serialization into a manually built swf,
i've been using builder to create dynamic xml which is then slurped by a
swf, using geoff's flashobject to pass in
variables(http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/)â?¦

hope that helps,
ian
Mike P. (Guest)
We are actually already making use of flashobject, but thanks for the
pointer.

Oliver Steele, the Chief Architect of Laszlo Systems and a former big
deal at Apple (creating the Dylan language, leading the graphics team,
etc.) is doing the initial work and he seems to have tackled all the
hard parts pretty effortlessly.

Mike P.
chems (Guest)
on 2006-02-28 10:28
Ian,

I much interested how you have done that. Can u send me a sample of your
app.
rhtml ? and where do u put the swf files ?

Rgs,

Ch