Forum: Ruby on Rails update_attribute and validations

Victor G. (Guest)
Just in case it saves someone else the several hours of insanity I just
went through, update_attributes will not save unless the model
validations are satisfied, but update_attribute (the singular form)
will save the attribute to the database even if the model validations
would fail!

This appears to be a feature, not a bug
(http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html) although it
is not mentioned in Agile Web Dev with Rails (page 221).

Regards,
Victor G.
Paul B. (Guest)
Wow, that is odd, you would think it would work the same as
update_attributes.  Or it least there would be a
update_attribute(name,value,validate) where validate is a boolean.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 1/17/06, Paul B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Wow, that is odd, you would think it would work the same as
> update_attributes.  Or it least there would be a
> update_attribute(name,value,validate) where validate is a
> boolean.

It was made specifically for updating things such as boolean fields.
If you want to update more fields without validation, you can do this:

@foo.attributes = params[:foo]
@foo.save(false)

--
rick