Forum: Ruby on Rails file_column plugin and instance variables

Jon S. (Guest)
To make file_column work I have to copy my local variable back to an
instance variables like this:

<% for product in @products
    @product = product %>
    <%= image_tag url_for_file_column('product', 'image_url') %></p>

This is needed because file_column specifically looks for the instance
version of the variable.

  def url_for_file_column(object, method, subdir=nil)
    case object
    when String, Symbol
      object = instance_variable_get("@#{object.to_s}")
    end

Is this normal or is there some way to fix this in file_column?

--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseFileColumn

On Jan 16, 2006, at 9:41 PM, Jon S. wrote:

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

- Bill
Kyle M. (Guest)
On 1/16/06, Bill P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > <% for product in @products
> >       object = instance_variable_get("@#{object.to_s}")

IIRC, file_column trunk cheats and lets you pass in the object itself:

<%=url_for_file_column product, "image" %>

Also, you could just do what I do and:

<% for @product in @products %>

--
Kyle M.