Forum: Ruby on Rails Multi Web Apps ...

Mic P. (Guest)

I've just setup Ruby on Rails using the guide I found at

http://fo64.com/articles/2005/10/20/rails-on-breezy

And was just wondering if it's possible to host PHP on the same box as
well !?

I don't seem to be able to find any info on this so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

I'm running Apache2 on Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (PPC version)

Thanks

Mic
Jules (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 22:50
It certainly is possible. Just try to install both, and change the
webserver www/htdocs directory to yourapp/public.

I think that will work.

Jules
Ben M. (Guest)
Mic Pringle wrote:
> And was just wondering if it's possible to host PHP on the same box as
> well !?

You can host all manner of dynamic and static sites on the same box:
ruby, php, java,
perl, cgi, etc. The problem is that, unless you want to make your end
users put port
numbers in their urls (e.g. http://myhost.com:3000/), you need to have
something
responding on port 80 that will internally redirect the request to the
right app/process.

You can do this using apache's vhost abilities, mod_rewrite, mod_proxy,
etc. I'm sure
LigHTTPD has similar capabilities. There's probably documentation on
this in the ruby docs
somewhere, but really, if you're gonna use Apache, you should spend some
quality time with
the apache docs.