Forum: Ruby on Rails Dedicated Host Recommendations?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
CSN (Guest)
on 2006-01-14 23:34
(Received via mailing list)
I currently have a dedicated server at ev1servers, but
it's getting rather antiquated (Redhat 9) and am
looking to upgrade. I'm thinking about serverbeach.com
- one of their CentOS servers. Anybody have any
recommendations for dedicated servers on which to run
Rails? Hopefully less than $200/month.

Thanks!
CSN

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
Tim Buchalka (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 00:13
(Received via mailing list)
Checkout dreamhost.com

I don't have a dedicated server with them yet, but host 4-5 web sites
with
them.  They are great and have been in the business for a while so are
reputable.  According to their website dedicated servers start at
$99/month.

Cheers



Tim
Manuel H. (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 00:22
(Received via mailing list)
Hi

> I currently have a dedicated server at ev1servers, but
> it's getting rather antiquated (Redhat 9) and am
> looking to upgrade. I'm thinking about serverbeach.com
> - one of their CentOS servers. Anybody have any
> recommendations for dedicated servers on which to run
> Rails? Hopefully less than $200/month.

Consider renting a VPS instance from Aktiom (www.aktiom.com). They
are really cool and you remove the problem of rotting hardware from
your radar.

Regards

Manuel H.
Jon S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 02:40
(Received via mailing list)
On 1/14/06, Manuel H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> are really cool and you remove the problem of rotting hardware from
> your radar.

Aktiom is using Virtuozzo, have you tried a VPS host that is using
Xen? For example quantac.com and several others. My friends are
telling me that Xen is a lot faster and more stable than UML and
Virtuozzo. Aktiom may be evaluating Xen too. Most of the hosting
providers are.

If you don't mind shared hosting it is hard to beat the 12-month deal
at dreamhost using the 777 coupon. It works out to $0.77 a month,
$9.24 for the year with no setup fee.

>
--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
mikkel (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 14:21
Jon S. wrote:
> On 1/14/06, Manuel H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> are really cool and you remove the problem of rotting hardware from
>> your radar.
>
> Aktiom is using Virtuozzo, have you tried a VPS host that is using
> Xen? For example quantac.com and several others. My friends are
> telling me that Xen is a lot faster and more stable than UML and
> Virtuozzo. Aktiom may be evaluating Xen too. Most of the hosting
> providers are.
>
> If you don't mind shared hosting it is hard to beat the 12-month deal
> at dreamhost using the 777 coupon. It works out to $0.77 a month,
> $9.24 for the year with no setup fee.
>
>>
> --
> Jon S.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

if you kow your stuff serverpronto.com might be the answer

they are so cheap that i singed up to find drawbacks...havet found any
far (3 months)...check www.ting.minline.dk for a small rails app
Roberto S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 15:04
(Received via mailing list)
that is really unbelievable cheap.

Well, if you just want cheap zen-based VPS with RAID storage, I have
heared
good things about http://www.unixshell.com/
sross (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 19:52
Jon S. wrote:
> On 1/14/06, Manuel H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> are really cool and you remove the problem of rotting hardware from
>> your radar.
>
> Aktiom is using Virtuozzo, have you tried a VPS host that is using
> Xen? For example quantac.com and several others. My friends are
> telling me that Xen is a lot faster and more stable than UML and
> Virtuozzo. Aktiom may be evaluating Xen too. Most of the hosting
> providers are.
>
> If you don't mind shared hosting it is hard to beat the 12-month deal
> at dreamhost using the 777 coupon. It works out to $0.77 a month,
> $9.24 for the year with no setup fee.
>
>>
> --
> Jon S.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

I beg your pardon? $9.24 for a *year*? Where do you enter this 777
coupon? That would be hard to pass up.
Jon S. (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 20:28
(Received via mailing list)
On 1/15/06, sross <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >
> coupon? That would be hard to pass up.
www.Dreamhost.com pays a $100 commission for people that bring it new
accounts. The 777 coupon effectively lets you keep your own
commission. Sign up for 12 months of the $9.95 plan. During checkout
enter the coupon and the total will drop to $9.24 for the year.  They
limit the number of 777 coupons that can be used so it may take
multiple tries over time.

Rails is installed, 20GB disk, 1TB xfer. I am on a quad xeon box but
it is not very heavily loaded. There are a lot of accounts on my box
but no one is really using them, 75% haven't even set up their home
page.

--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Ezra Z. (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 00:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Jan 14, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Manuel H. wrote:

> are really cool and you remove the problem of rotting hardware from
> your radar.
>
> Regards
>
> Manuel H.


	If you are looking for a Xen based vps then unixshell.com is ok.
http://rimuhosting.com is a great place for Xen based VPS servers.
But it sounds like you want a dedicated box(<$200). I have a few
dedicated boxes at http://layeredtech.com. You can get a sweet AMD
3800+ with 1gig ram and 80gig hd for $89/month. Its hard to beat that
price and they have a really good reputation on webhostingtalk.

	Whatever you choose, I have a nice tutorial written up on setting up
a debian/rails vps or dedicated server from scratch. You can chekc it
out here:   http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
509-577-7732
Vivek K. (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 05:42
(Received via mailing list)
Have you checked out the VPS plans?
I found www.rimuhosting.com to be good.The support is good and they have
affordable VPS plans. I am sure they have dedicated hosting too.
vivek
Daniel W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 07:13
(Received via mailing list)
I second Rimu. Reasonable prices and the support rocks.
csn (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 07:45
Ezra Z. wrote:

> But it sounds like you want a dedicated box(<$200). I have a few
> dedicated boxes at http://layeredtech.com. You can get a sweet AMD
> 3800+ with 1gig ram and 80gig hd for $89/month. Its hard to beat that
> price and they have a really good reputation on webhostingtalk.

Nice :). That's about exactly what I'm looking for and their prices are
the best I've seen. I hadn't heard of them.

csn
Jan P. (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 15:05
(Received via mailing list)
Hi, csn,

maybe you can read german or know anyone in germany who might help you
on getting an account on strato.de or 1und1.de.

I've had dedicated root servers on both services and had no problem but
a good and reliable service. I'm not associated with one of them (not
even an affiliate partner). I've always wondered why the german
providers seem to be ahead of the game regarding dedicated hosting
(looking at layeredtech.com us hosters seem to catch up but when I was
looking a few month ago dedicated hosting in the us seemed to be quite
expensive).

Some examples:
strato highend server mr2, opteron 146, unlimited traffic, 1 gig ram,
2x160 gig hd, 160 gig backup space on ftp, â?¬ 69,- / month
strato highend server lr2, opteron 148, unlimited traffic, 2 gig ram,
2x160 raid 1, 160 gig backup space on ftp, â?¬ 109,- / month
( http://www.strato.de/server/highend/index.html )

A watchlist on prices and services for hosting (and dedicated servers)
in german: http://www.webhostlist.de

Best regards
Jan
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.