Forum: Ruby Mailing list for Ruby TK

John M. (Guest)
Is there a dedicated mailing list for Ruby Tk?
unknown (Guest)
On Saturday 14 January 2006 01:20 am, John M. wrote:
> Is there a dedicated mailing list for Ruby Tk?

Not that I know of. Ruby has bindings for TK with the distribution. You
could
talk here. I could start a forum if people wanted. Going through google
groups is kinda a pain, and I like using stickies in forums :)

Anyway, what is the question?

Tsume
John M. (Guest)
Oh, that's a dangerous question for a noob ;)

I'm looking and playing with the source for the package "ruby-tcltk".
I'll try to order the questions that I have...

i) When asking a question is it best to paste the source code in
somewhere like http://rafb.net so that all can see?
ii) Do people on this mailing list mind attachments containing code?
ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
 a) The package has some demos under
/usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
 b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widget
I'm finding it hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up"
anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term is "Invoking" or
"binding").

If this helps
jayeola@tp20$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]

Thanks for the offer and suggestion of starting up a new forum. I think
that I'd rather stay here as this list is is quite extensive.

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:33:30 +0900
David V. (Guest)
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:45:07 +0100, John M.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> i) When asking a question is it best to paste the source code in
> somewhere like http://rafb.net so that all can see?
> ii) Do people on this mailing list mind attachments containing code?

Most of the time, you should be able to go by with code excerpts under
40
lines of code, you can as well put them into the mail body.

> ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
>  a) The package has some demos under
> /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
>  b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widget
> I'm finding it hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up"
> anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term is "Invoking" or
> "binding").

Ech, I'm not that Tk savvy, but speaking from general GUI experience,
what
you're describing isn't really that common, and I'm not surprised the Tk
samples don't feature it - use of dialogs, or just hiding / showing
widgets is more common.

You should be able to add GUI widgets at runtime in event handlers just
like you do when first creating the GUI, I'd first check if that works
out
of the box. If not, you probably need to tell Tk to redo the layout of
widgets either in the root element, or if it's possible, just the one
containing the new widgets. You really need someone Tk-savvy to tell you
more.

David V.
Hidetoshi NAGAI (Guest)
From: John M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 03:45:07 +0900
> ii) With regards to ruby-tcltk
>  a) The package has some demos under /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en
>  b) Looking at /usr/share/doc/ruby-tcltk-1.8.4/tk/sample/demos-en/widget I'm finding it
hard to see how to bind a button to "pop-up" anotherwidget. (I think that the correct term
is "Invoking" or "binding").

I'm poor at English. So I couldn't understand what you want to know.
Could you explain it to me in detail?