Forum: Ruby on Rails SQL -> Diagram script

Jim (Guest)
on 2006-01-13 02:25
Did I see some code posted here that would create a graphical
representation of a database relationships using the graphviz utilities?
Dick D. (Guest)
There's pgautodoc if you're using postgresql:

  http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html

I'd be amazed if there wasn't something similar for mysql.

On 13/01/06, Jim <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Did I see some code posted here that would create a graphical
> representation of a database relationships using the graphviz utilities?

http://number9.hellooperator.net/
Ian H. (Guest)
on 2006-01-13 15:22
Dick D. wrote:
> There's pgautodoc if you're using postgresql:
>
>   http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html
>
> I'd be amazed if there wasn't something similar for mysql.

I couldn't find one... I was amazed.:^)  I converted the db to
PostgreSQL, used pg_autodoc, and Dia.  It was faster than doing it all
by hand!  There are plenty of MySQL to PostgreSQL conversion tools on
the PostgreSQL site, most of which don't work with the latest MySQL, but
they are a start.

Please let me know if you find (or write) a MySQL -> Dia tool.

- Ian
Bakki K. (Guest)
Hi Jim,

Have you looked at DBDesigner4 at  http://www.fabforce.net/  which will
become mySQLWorkbench soon in the mySQL distro. I don't have a lot of
experience with it since I just downloaded and installed it myself. It
can
import existing schema but I am not sure if it will automatically
generate a
relationship diagram. I will soon find out :)

-bakki
Nic W. (Guest)
I use DBVisualizer for an administration/graphical representation. You
can print out the graphical output, arrange it in a
hierarchical/orthagonical/organic method as well.

http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/

I really like their product and bought the full version. You just need
to give it a JDBC driver for your database, and connect.

- Nic.

On 1/12/06, Jim <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

--
- Nic