Forum: Ruby on Rails Take Rails Studio Workshop?

Dan S. (Guest)
In two weeks, Dave T. will be in Pasadena doing a three-day Rails
workshop. I'm about to sign up for it. I figure three intense days
with Dave and a few dozen other Rails developers will produce huge
learning leaps for me.

Then it occurred to me that it might be useful to ask the list if
anyone has attended one of these workshops before and, if so, how
valuable you found it. If you've read the Agile book and basically
"get it" and are about to embark on a couple of modest but not toy
apps in the next 30-60 days, what's the real value of this workshop,
if any?

Any actual experience shared would be useful. You can take it off-
list if you prefer for any reason.

Thanks in advance.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Dan S.
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com
Andrew S. (Guest)
I found it very worthwhile, and they cover a lot of the changes in Rails
from when th book was published, so even if you have read the book,
you'll
still probably get a lot out of it. And as an added bonus, you get to
meet
other potential rails developers in your area.
Eric K. (Guest)
Dan,

I took the rails studio and it is great. It is quite rare to be able to
spend a few days with guys on this level of understanding and openness.
They
are both excellent programmers with serious real-world experience. They
are
also very good teachers and authors who are very patient with us noobs.
have only had a few training sessions is all my years that are this
good. I
could not recommend the class any higher.

-Eric
Bakki K. (Guest)
Hi Dan,

My take on this was based on affordabiltiy. If your employer is paying
or
your pockets are deep it would be a great experience. But I couldn't
afford
it and so I had to resort to the Agile book, docs on line, the API docs
etc
and last but not least this list. It will take more than a week but you
CAN
learn Rails in depth this way too. So those of you who, like me, may not
be
able to afford it take heart. It just might 2 - 3 times longer.

bakki kudva
Dan S. (Guest)
Thanks everyone. I'm signed up for Pasadena in two weeks and looking
forward to learning more by immersion.

Dan
Dave T. (Guest)
On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Dan S. wrote:

> Thanks everyone. I'm signed up for Pasadena in two weeks and
> looking forward to learning more by immersion.

And we look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks, alumni, for the kind comments, too!

Dave
Dylan S. (Guest)
I'll see you all there too !
Mike C. (Guest)
On Jan 12, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Dave T. wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Dan S. wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone. I'm signed up for Pasadena in two weeks and
>> looking forward to learning more by immersion.
>
> And we look forward to seeing you there!
>
> Thanks, alumni, for the kind comments, too!

Thanks for everyone's support!  We look forward to meeting you.

By the way, there are still a few seats open in Pasadena on January
26-28.  And after that we'll be in Chicago on February 16-18. More
details are at

   http://pragmaticstudio.com

Cheers,

Mike
Michael T. (Guest)
Looking forward to Chicago!!!

Michael T.
James L. (Guest)
On 1/13/06, Mike C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> By the way, there are still a few seats open in Pasadena on January
> 26-28.  And after that we'll be in Chicago on February 16-18. More
> details are at
>
>    http://pragmaticstudio.com

OK, so how was it?  I wasn't able to make it to Chicago, so I'll have
to live vicariously through others' experiences.

-- James
Michael T. (Guest)
I did a write up on my blog for all three days:

blog.railsconsulting.com

I'm a bit of a fan boy when it comes to Dave and Mike.  Definitely
worthwhile even if you have some of this stuff under your belt.  They
will fill in a lot of gaps for you, plus are always quick to point out
gotchas along the way.

Highly recommended.

Michael