Forum: Ruby on Rails checking Join data for nil before accessing

Justin K. (Guest)
on 2006-01-11 19:00
So I have a join 1:0..1.  If there is nothing in the child side I get an
error when I say property.pdf.name  that I can't access nil.name.  But I
can't seem to figure out how to check if pdf is nil or not before I call
the .name function.  If I test for property.pdf == nil it always comes
back as nil, which it isn't.

Any ideas?
Alex Y. (Guest)
Justin K. wrote:
> So I have a join 1:0..1.  If there is nothing in the child side I get an
> error when I say property.pdf.name  that I can't access nil.name.  But I
> can't seem to figure out how to check if pdf is nil or not before I call
> the .name function.  If I test for property.pdf == nil it always comes
> back as nil, which it isn't.
To check, use property.pdf.nil? rather than property.pdf == nil.  I
presume the latter doesn't work because the NoRecordException is raised
before the comparison can be made.
Justin K. (Guest)
on 2006-01-11 19:34
Alex Y. wrote:
> Justin K. wrote:
>> So I have a join 1:0..1.  If there is nothing in the child side I get an
>> error when I say property.pdf.name  that I can't access nil.name.  But I
>> can't seem to figure out how to check if pdf is nil or not before I call
>> the .name function.  If I test for property.pdf == nil it always comes
>> back as nil, which it isn't.
> To check, use property.pdf.nil? rather than property.pdf == nil.  I
> presume the latter doesn't work because the NoRecordException is raised
> before the comparison can be made.

Thanks