Forum: Ruby rubygem, rdoc, ri, ...

Pierre Barbier de Reuille (Guest)
Hi !

I cannot successfully generate any documentation with rubygem !
I tried (with RubyInline) :
$ gem install RubyInline --doc
$ gem rdoc RubyInline
$ gem rdoc --all

.... but none of these generates the doc !
However, if, within the installe RubyInline I type :
$ rdoc --all

.... well, it just generates corectly the doc in HTML.

Ok, also, how do I access the doc of the ruby gems using ri or rbbr ? I
saw nothing that would allow me to do so :S

thanks, and I hope my googlefu did not fail me too much :S

Pierre
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Jan 11, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:

> I cannot successfully generate any documentation with rubygem !
> I tried (with RubyInline) :
> $ gem install RubyInline --doc
> $ gem rdoc RubyInline
> $ gem rdoc --all

Not your fault. From the gemspec:

   s.has_rdoc = false                            # I SUCK - TODO

> Ok, also, how do I access the doc of the ruby gems using ri or
> rbbr ? I
> saw nothing that would allow me to do so :S

You don't. This is not a capability of ri. I don't know what rbbr is.
Ryan D. a écrit :
> Not your fault. From the gemspec:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid - Seattle.rb - http://www.zenspider.com/
> seattle.rb
> http://blog.zenspider.com/ - http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby2c

Thanks,

For rbbr, it stands for "Ruby Browser", kind of a graphical interface to
ri ... but not exactly. However, it is really usefull, even if still a
little bit buggy :

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/fr/hiki.cgi?rbbr

Pierre
Mark V. (Guest)
On 1/11/06, Pierre Barbier de Reuille
<pierre_dot_barbier@_nospam_cirad.fr> wrote:

> Ok, also, how do I access the doc of the ruby gems using ri or rbbr ? I
> saw nothing that would allow me to do so :S

The way to view RDoc generated by RubyGems is to
1) start a local gem server by running "gem_server"
2) in a web browser, browse "http://localhost:8808"
3) click the "[rdoc]" links next to names of gems
mr ra88it (Guest)
> > Ok, also, how do I access the doc of the ruby gems using ri or
> > rbbr ? I
> > saw nothing that would allow me to do so :S
>
> You don't. This is not a capability of ri.

I love using ri to browse documentation and I'm amazed that it is not
capable of showing the documentation for ruby gems. Does anybody have
a good idea for how this might be achieved?
David V. (Guest)
Mark V. wrote:

>1) start a local gem server by running "gem_server"
>2) in a web browser, browse "http://localhost:8808"
>3) click the "[rdoc]" links next to names of gems
>
>--
>R. Mark V.
>Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

For shame, since having the .rd files available for tools that process
them for gems too would certainly have its merits.

David V.
Ross B. (Guest)
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:27:46 -0000, mr ra88it
wrote:

>> > Ok, also, how do I access the doc of the ruby gems using ri or
>> > rbbr ? I
>> > saw nothing that would allow me to do so :S
>>
>> You don't. This is not a capability of ri.
>
> I love using ri to browse documentation and I'm amazed that it is not
> capable of showing the documentation for ruby gems. Does anybody have
> a good idea for how this might be achieved?

If you really don't care about having the RDoc available via gem_server,
then you could do something like the following. I'll assume here that
gems
are installed as root, for use sitewide.

Just create a file, /root/.gemrc , with the following:

	rdoc: --ri-site

Now run an install for a gem that you know has rdoc:

	su -c 'gem install cmdparse'

Doesn't matter if it's already installed. Now check it's worked and is
available to all users:

	ri CmdParse::CommandParser

(substitute another if you have cmdparse ri already installed :))

As I say though doing this you'll lose the RDoc you get in gem_server I
guess, but you should get RI on tap for your gems. Very nice from
Eclipse.

As a footnote, check out http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/11#page55
for more information. You could do this on a per-gem basis, for example,
by having a special config file you supply when needed, and it can be
tailored to per-user gem install or whatever too I think.

Cheers,