Forum: Ruby on Rails # of entrys in different months

Melange (Guest)
on 2006-01-10 18:11
right now im writing a weblog as my first project in rails. Most tings
seems to be working great :), but there is (a least) one thing left i
can't figure out how to do.
As most weblogs i would like to have an archive, whick looks like this:

January 2006 (42)
December 2005 (60)
November 2005 (2)
October 2005 (101)
September 2005 (4)
August 2005 (2)
July 2005 (101010)

where (x) is the number of posts that month.

How do i do this "the rails way"? the date in my table has the type
"datetime"

thanks in advence.
Jens-Christian F. (Guest)
Am 10.01.2006 um 17:11 schrieb Melange:

> How do i do this "the rails way"? the date in my table has the type
> "datetime"

The rails way would probably be something like:

class Post
    def self.number_of_posts(year, month)
      Post.count "month(postdate) = month and year(postdate) = year"

Note: Dependent on the DBMS you use.

then you can call

Post.number_of_posts(2006, 1)

cu jc
Adam D. (Guest)
find_by_sql("select count(*) as total from  from posts where category
= 1 group by year,month)
Jm M. (Guest)
Has anyone here used the SearchGenerator? I'm having
trouble setting up the "Partial" view, the
documentation makes me think a Partial template is
included, but I don't see one. I have the search index
and generic view file.

Anyone have the code that is in partial view? Or how
to set it up?

Thanks

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com
Kasper Kilikus (Guest)
on 2006-01-10 19:40
Adam D. wrote:
> find_by_sql("select count(*) as total from  from posts where category
> = 1 group by year,month)

I'm not an SQL expert, but how does that help when his date is a
datetime?
Lance B. (Guest)
On 1/10/06, jonathan Mcintire <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Has anyone here used the SearchGenerator? I'm having
> trouble setting up the "Partial" view, the
> documentation makes me think a Partial template is
> included, but I don't see one. I have the search index
> and generic view file.
>
> Anyone have the code that is in partial view? Or how
> to set it up?

Hi Jonathan

I haven't used SearchGenerator, so I'm not really one to answer your
question.  Instead, I'll shill for my own Indexed Search Engine
(http://langwell-ball.com/indexed-search).  I chose not to use Search
Generator for my purposes primarily because it integrated SimpleSearch
- which I think is too simple.  It doesn't stem words, and it does a
full text search on your database, which is definitely going to be
slow if your data is of any size.

This doesn't really answer your question, I know.  Sorry about that.
;-)  But if you do feel like giving Indexed Search Engine a try,
please let me know how it goes.  Any and all feedback is welcome.

Lance B.
Jm M. (Guest)
Is the engine available on Textdrive? If I use this
search and then migrate to Textdrive would I have any
issues?

--- Lance B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > Anyone have the code that is in partial view? Or
> not to use Search
> ;-)  But if you do feel like giving Indexed Search
> Engine a try,
> please let me know how it goes.  Any and all
> feedback is welcome.
>
> Lance B.

sorry missed that.

adam
Gregory S. (Guest)
}
} I'm not an SQL expert, but how does that help when his date is a
} datetime?

It doesn't. The following may be PostgreSQL-specific. Not sure.

SELECT *, COUNT(*)
FROM (
	SELECT extract(year FROM posted_date) AS year,
		extract(month FROM posted_date) AS month
	FROM posts
	)
GROUP BY year, month

--Greg
Lance B. (Guest)
On 1/10/06, jonathan Mcintire <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Is the engine available on Textdrive? If I use this
> search and then migrate to Textdrive would I have any
> issues?

It's just a plain ole Rails engine (http://rails-engines.org/) with no
dependencies on anything outside of rails.  I haven't personally
tested it on Textdrive, but since they're one of the defacto RoR
hosting providers it shouldn't be a problem.

Lance
Jm M. (Guest)
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if they had the "engines"
working on their site.
Thanks for the response though, I think I will try
your search, actually. I'll let you know how it turns
out(I'm sure I'll have some problem). Thanks for the
help.

Jonathan

--- Lance B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> dependencies on anything outside of rails.  I

mysql version (that i originally meant):

mysql> select count(*) as total, date_format(created_on,'%b') as month
, date_format(created_on,'%Y') as year from posts group by month,year
;
+-------+-------+------+
| total | month | year |
+-------+-------+------+
|     1 | NULL  | 0000 |
|     8 | Dec   | 2005 |
|     8 | Jan   | 2006 |
|    11 | Nov   | 2005 |
|    19 | Oct   | 2005 |
'engines' aren't things that your host needs to support - they are
just plugins, like any other rails plugin or bit of code, that you can
use in your application anywhere.

- james
Lance B. (Guest)
On 1/10/06, James A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> 'engines' aren't things that your host needs to support - they are
> just plugins, like any other rails plugin or bit of code, that you can
> use in your application anywhere.

True - though I suppose if your hosting provider has an older version
of rails (pre 0.13.x or whenever engines were introduced) it would be
an issue.