Forum: Ruby on Rails RaislsEdge - where to get latest javascripts ?

Roberto S. (Guest)
To play with RJS I just made a "rake freeze edge". But this copies only
the
libs into vendor/rails and any attempt of "rake update_javascripts"
fails.

But all the he required  javascripts are there, at:
BASEPATH/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/javascripts/

Except of prototype, they seem to have no version number, so I am asking
whether I should take those javascript files from there or checkout the
whole rails trunk and get them form  Dir[RAILTIES_PATH +
'/html/javascripts/*.js'] ?
David Heinemeier H. (Guest)
> Except of prototype, they seem to have no version number, so I am asking

"rake update_javascripts" -- that'll give you the latest javascripts
from the current Rails you're running. And when you're running edge,
that means edge js.
--
David Heinemeier H.
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management
> > Except of prototype, they seem to have no version number, so I am asking
>
> "rake update_javascripts" -- that'll give you the latest javascripts
> from the current Rails you're running. And when you're running edge,
> that means edge js.

Wups, seems that you already did that. What's the failure?
--
David Heinemeier H.
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management
http://www.backpackit.com   -- Personal information manager
http://www.rubyonrails.com  -- Web-application framework
David Heinemeier H. (Guest)
> A quick look at the soure repository shows that the javascripts are from the
> same revison, so now maybe I should change my question: why do we have the
> same set of scripts at two diffferent locations ?

Because they need to go in both the Rails package and in the Action
Pack package. Believe it or not, the later can actually be used as a
stand-alone framework :). Not a ton of people are doing that, though.
--
David Heinemeier H.
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management
http://www.backpackit.com   -- Personal information manager
http://www.rubyonrails.com  -- Web-application framework
Sam S. (Guest)
> A quick look at the soure repository shows that the javascripts are from the
> same revison, so now maybe I should change my question: why do we have the
> same set of scripts at two diffferent locations ?

Action Pack has its own JS so that it can be used independently of
Rails. Running "rake update_javascripts" copies the scripts from
Railties' html/javascripts/ directory. Both sets of scripts should
always be identical.

--
sam
Roberto S. (Guest)

I noticed that "rake update_javascripts" also copies over
application.js. This is disastrous if you already have code in that
file. My opinion is that this should either:
1. not copy it
2. ask to overwrite if we have put in something in there other than the
default contents

kamal
Cody F. (Guest)
This has been fixed in http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/3863