Forum: Ruby on Rails How do can I use XmlRpc with my AWS?

Joerg D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-08 18:54
In my tests, I want to invoke my webservice not using the default SOAP
protocol, but using XmlRpc ... how do I do that?
Matthew P. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:54:41PM +0100, Joerg D. wrote:
> In my tests, I want to invoke my webservice not using the default SOAP
> protocol, but using XmlRpc ... how do I do that?

I don't think that invoke actually uses either of SOAP *or* XML-RPC to
actually run the test -- I think it just sets the appropriate
environment
and runs the controller method.  The assumption, I guess, is that
everything
between the socket and the method invocation (via SOAP or XML-RPC) has
been
tested to death and can be assumed to work, and it's only your
controller
code that's potentially dangerous.  <grin>

If you have a real desire to run your code via XML-RPC, I think you'll
need
to start the server manually and then run some hand-crafted test code
that
uses the Ruby XML-RPC client library.  But I don't see the point in the
general case.

- Matt
Joerg D. (Guest)
on 2006-01-09 09:13
Ok - Well, I suppose that is good and bad. Good that it all gets tested
by the framework itself, but a bummer that my method throws up an error
when I invoke it using SOAP, but works just fine using XmlRpc. SOAP
throws this error:

"Cannot map Array to SOAP/OM."

I am returning [[User]]

XmlRpc doesn't have a problem with my method.

Any ideas?