Forum: Ruby on Rails hosting with Pair : Rails' app dies after a few seconds

Cattimik (Guest)
on 2006-01-07 11:44
First of all thanks a lot to the guys who answered the other topic.

Host: Pair Networks - FreeBSD v.4.8-Stable - peulik.pair.com
PHP and MySQL services running (is this a problem?)

First of all, after I establish the ssh connection I've to type, as I
mentioned in the old thread,
GEM_PATH ~/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
otherwise the ruby installation is not found.

position of the executable:
%which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby

May be this the problem? this should be the directory of the default
pair istallation.
Since I installed a new version which is placed in /home/"myaccount"/bin
I guess this could be the problem.
Is there a way to correct it?

anyway, if I type
%ruby -v
i get
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i386-freebsd4.8]

so I guess it is correct

%rails -v
Rails 1.0.0

Well, everything seems to work.

% cd public_html
(my site directory is placed in public_html/sito1)
%rails testapp
      create
      create  app/controllers
      create  app/helpers
      create  app/models
      create  app/views/layouts
      create  config/environments
      create  components
      create  db
      create  doc
      create  lib
      create  lib/tasks
      create  log
      create  public/images
      create  public/javascripts
      create  public/stylesheets
      create  script/performance
      create  script/process
      create  test/fixtures
      create  test/functional
      create  test/mocks/development
      create  test/mocks/test
      create  test/unit
      create  vendor
      create  vendor/plugins
      create  Rakefile
      create  README
      create  app/controllers/application.rb
      create  app/helpers/application_helper.rb
      create  test/test_helper.rb
      create  config/database.yml
      create  config/routes.rb
      create  public/.htaccess
      create  config/boot.rb
      create  config/environment.rb
      create  config/environments/production.rb
      create  config/environments/development.rb
      create  config/environments/test.rb
      create  script/about
      create  script/breakpointer
      create  script/console
      create  script/destroy
      create  script/generate
      create  script/performance/benchmarker
      create  script/performance/profiler
      create  script/process/reaper
      create  script/process/spawner
      create  script/process/spinner
      create  script/runner
      create  script/server
      create  script/plugin
      create  public/dispatch.rb
      create  public/dispatch.cgi
      create  public/dispatch.fcgi
      create  public/404.html
      create  public/500.html
      create  public/index.html
      create  public/favicon.ico
      create  public/robots.txt
      create  public/images/rails.png
      create  public/javascripts/prototype.js
      create  public/javascripts/effects.js
      create  public/javascripts/dragdrop.js
      create  public/javascripts/controls.js
      create  doc/README_FOR_APP
      create  log/server.log
      create  log/production.log
      create  log/development.log
      create  log/test.log
%cd testapp
%ruby script/server
=> Booting WEBrick...
=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options
------------------------------
now I can reach the index page of the application for few seconds at
http://www.micheleongaro.com:3000

then
------------------------------
Killed
%

This is the end.
It may help if i report the verbose mode?

Thanks in advance!

Michele
Phillip H. (Guest)
On 7/01/2006, at 10:44 PM, Cattimik wrote:

> position of the executable:
> %which ruby
> /usr/local/bin/ruby

export PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
will get your Ruby executable in the search path

> Killed

This is a message from the kernel indicating that the process has
been killed with SIGKILL (kill -9). My guess is your host is running
a process that kills all processes of a certain type every few seconds.

Personally I'm with them on this if they're a shared host - Rails in
development mode eats RAM really fast, and on a shared host this
rapidly creates performance issues. Develop on your own machine,
deploy to them.

--
Phillip H.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Phillip H. wrote:
> This is a message from the kernel indicating that the process has
> been killed with SIGKILL (kill -9). My guess is your host is running
> a process that kills all processes of a certain type every few seconds.
>
> Personally I'm with them on this if they're a shared host - Rails in
> development mode eats RAM really fast, and on a shared host this
> rapidly creates performance issues. Develop on your own machine,
> deploy to them.
>

> --
> Phillip H.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid