Forum: Ruby on Rails GIS Image coordinates / markers?

Nic W. (Guest)
Hey everyone,
   Is there Rails support for something like Google Maps, but using my
own images/maps?

  Basically, I'd like to have my own maps/images, be able to drop
markers on them, center on certain attributes etc.

- Nic
Adam D. (Guest)
google maps is just javascript so you can drop it in anywhere on your
rails views.

As for custom images i believe this is set in the google API
javascript as follows:

   var icon = new GIcon();
   icon.image =
"http://labs.google.com/ridefinder/images/mm_20_red...
   icon.shadow =
"http://labs.google.com/ridefinder/images/mm_20_sha...
   icon.iconSize = new GSize(12, 20);
   icon.shadowSize = new GSize(22, 20);
   icon.iconAnchor = new GPoint(6, 20);
   icon.infoWindowAnchor = new GPoint(5, 1);

adam
Nic W. (Guest)
Thanks, but what I was looking for was something with the interface of
Google Maps, but my *own* maps, like maps of buildings, or more
detailed areas.

On 1/6/06, Adam D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>    icon.shadowSize = new GSize(22, 20);
> >   Basically, I'd like to have my own maps/images, be able to drop
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

- Nic
Alain R. (Guest)
Nic
    > Thanks, but what I was looking for was something with the
interface of
    > Google Maps, but my *own* maps, like maps of buildings, or more
    > detailed areas.

There is code that does exactly that in "Pragmatic Ajax' (1).
Even better, what you're looking for is freely available :
       http://media.pragprog.com/titles/ajax/ajaxian_maps.pdf

Alain

[1] : pdf, 20$
          http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ajax/index.html