Forum: Ruby on Rails Anyone using AJAX, SVG, and Rails?

Rich M. (Guest)
I'm interested in the idea of using AJAX and SVG to create a
simple diagram editor.  It seems like Rails might be able to
support this sort of thing, so I thought I'd ask if anyone is
doing anything in this direction.

-r
--
Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development:
  http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume.html

Contact information: removed_email_address@domain.invalid, +1 650-873-7841
Steve L. (Guest)
On Friday 06 January 2006 01:28 pm, Rich M. wrote:
> I'm interested in the idea of using AJAX and SVG to create a
> simple diagram editor.  It seems like Rails might be able to
> support this sort of thing, so I thought I'd ask if anyone is
> doing anything in this direction.
>
> -r

Hi Rich,

I just saw this today. I'd love to have a diagram editor, but before
committing time to this project, look at the Dia project
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/) and see if you can do better.

If you ever get the chance to reproduce Micrografx Windows Draw, please
let me
know, as I'd volunteer to do some work on that. Micrografx Windows Draw
is by
far the best vector drawing (not diagramming) software I've ever used,
and
it's a Windows-only abandoned program that has trouble running on
anything
newer than Win98. It came with a huge bunch of clip art of questionable
license, that could quickly be reproduced with "open" clip art made by
various Windows Draw users.

SteevT

Steve L.
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.