Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Rails setup for multi-user environment?

Christopher J. Mackie (Guest)
Thanks for responding, Tom.  I don't disagree with the principles you
advocate, but I have to work with what I've got. We need to try to make
this work on our shared web server -- and the people who control our
resources don't share your views.

Is it *possible* to do what I need to do with Rails? I'm guessing that
it is, b/c there are commercial hosting services. But I don't know
whether it's easy or a configuration nightmare, much less where to
start.  Any suggestions on how to get going?

--CJ

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:49 PM, Tom M. wrote:

One of the *very best* things about Rails is that it's SO EASY
to locally install Rails so that there's zero contention for
development resources such as application instances, DB
instances, etc.
<snip>
 -- Tom M.

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:29 PM, Christopher J. Mackie wrote:

	Is there a way to set up rails on a shared server so that
multiple developers don't each have to install their own copies? We've
got an (internal) shared-hosting server to which I want to add rails,
but I'm not even sure it's possible, much less how to do it.

	Basic scenario (machines are Linux):

	1 - scripting server, serves PHP and perl via Apache. Developers
have no direct access: they just put their code in their own "magic"
folder on our NAS and the server runs it (as, e.g.,
http://server/my_magic_folder/myscript.php). We could add ror here to
publish rails apps using the same kind of scheme, but they won't let
developers SSH in and run rake or irb.

	1 - application server. The "magic" scripting folder is mapped
as the developer's home directory, and this server allows interactive
work. This is how developers who want interactive perl or PHP get it:
they use copies of the languages on this server from the console.  We
could put a copy of ruby/rails here and share it, if rails can be
shared.

	1 - NAS (fileserver). where all the developer source-code lives.
Can't install apps here.

	Our server admins are smart folks, but they're busy and they
don't know (or care) much about rails. I need to be able to show them
that adding rails support is feasible and not too difficult, and give
them a clear idea how to proceed.  Can anyone recommend any solutions
and/or point to any instructions?

	Thanks, --CJ

On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Christopher J. Mackie wrote:

> control our resources don't share your views.
>
> Is it *possible* to do what I need to do with Rails? I'm guessing
> that it is, b/c there are commercial hosting services. But I don't
> know whether it's easy or a configuration nightmare, much less
> where to start.  Any suggestions on how to get going?

If your developers have shell access to the box, they could work in
their home directories and run Webrick.

It's *certainly* possible to share different code bases (rails
applications) on a single webserver (Apache for instance) with proper
configuration,
either at separate paths or separate port numbers. That said, I've
not done it before for Rails, but I'll willing to lay down in front
of a train if
I'm wrong. :-)

Hell, there's *always* a way. :-)