Forum: Ruby Rio 0.3.7

rio4ruby (Guest)
Announcing Rio 0.3.7

== Overview

Rio is a Ruby I/O convenience class wrapping much of the functionality
of IO, File and Dir. Rio also uses FileUtils, Tempfile, StringIO,
OpenURI, Zlib, and CSV to provide similar functionality using a simple
consistent interface. In addition to forwarding the interfaces
provided by IO, File, and Dir to an appropriate object, Rio provides a
"grande" interface that allows many common application-level I/O and
file-system tasks to be expressed succinctly.

== New

Support for Pipe operator
 # Pipe multiple commands
 rio('afile') | rio(?-,'acmd') | 'another_cmd' | ?-

 # run the same series of commands, with different input and/or output
 cmdpipe = rio(?-,'acmd') | rio(?-,'another_cmd')
 rio('infile1') | cmdpipe | rio('outfile1')
 rio('infile2') | cmdpipe | rio('outfile2')

 cmdpipe2 = rio(?|,'cmd1','cmd2',rio('outfile')) # a cmdpipe Rio
 rio('infile1') | cmdpipe2       # run with input coming from a file
 rio(?-) | cmdpipe2              # same commands with input from stdin

Improved support for MS Windows paths containing drives and UNC paths.
 rio('D:/adir/afile')
 rio('//ahost/adir/afile')

== SYNOPSIS

For the following assume:
 astring = ""
 anarray = []

Copy or append a file to a string
 rio('afile') > astring      # copy
 rio('afile') >> astring     # append

Copy or append a string to a file
 rio('afile') < astring      # copy
 rio('afile') << astring     # append

Copy or append the lines of a file to an array
 rio('afile') > anarray
 rio('afile') >> anarray

Copy or append a file to another file
 rio('afile') > rio('another_file')
 rio('afile') >> rio('another_file')

Copy a file to a directory
 rio('adir') << rio('afile')

Copy a directory structure to another directory
 rio('adir') >> rio('another_directory')

Copy a web-page to a file
 rio('http://rubydoc.org/') > rio('afile')

Ways to get the chomped lines of a file into an array
 anarray = rio('afile').chomp[]         # subscript operator
 rio('afile').chomp > anarray           # copy-to operator
 anarray = rio('afile').chomp.to_a      # to_a
 anarray = rio('afile').chomp.readlines # IO#readlines

Copy a gzipped file un-gzipping it
 rio('afile.gz').gzip > rio('afile')

Copy a plain file, gzipping it
 rio('afile.gz').gzip < rio('afile')

Copy a file from a ftp server into a local file un-gzipping it
 rio('ftp://host/afile.gz').gzip > rio('afile')

Iterate over the entries in a directory
 rio('adir').entries { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over only the files in a directory
 rio('adir').files { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over only the .rb files in a directory
 rio('adir').files('*.rb') { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over .rb files but not symlinks to .rb files
 rio('adir').files('*.rb').skip(:symlink?) { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over only the _dot_ files in a directory
 rio('adir').files(/^\./) { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over the files in a directory and its subdirectories, skipping
'.svn' and 'CVS' directories

 rio('adir').norecurse(/^\.svn$/,'CVS').files { |entrio| ... }

Create an array of the .rb entries in a directory
 anarray = rio('adir')['*.rb']

Create an array of the .rb entries in a directory and its
subdirectories.
 anarray = rio('adir').all['*.rb']

Iterate over the .rb files in a directory and its subdirectories
 rio('adir').all.files('*.rb') { |entrio| ... }

Iterate over the non-empty, non-comment chomped lines of a file
 rio('afile').chomp.skip.lines(:empty?,/^\s*#/) { |line| ... }

Copy the output of th ps command into an array, skipping the header
line and the ps command entry
 rio(?-,'ps -a').skip.lines(0,/ps$/) > anarray

Prompt for input and return what was typed
 ans = rio(?-).print("Type Something: ").chomp.gets

Change the extension of all .htm files in a directory and its
subdirectories to .html
 rio('adir').rename.all.files('*.htm') do |htmfile|
   htmfile.extname = '.html'
 end

Create a symbolic link 'asymlink' in 'adir' which refers to
'adir/afile'
 rio('adir/afile').symlink('adir/asymlink')

Copy a CSV file, changing the separator to a semicolon
 rio('comma.csv').csv > rio('semicolon.csv').csv(';')

Iterate through a CSVfile with each line parsed into an array
 rio('afile.csv').csv { |array_of_fields| ...}

Create a tab separated file of accounts in a UNIX passwd file,
listing only the username, uid, and realname fields
 rio('/etc/passwd').csv(':').columns(0,2,4) > rio('rpt').csv("\t")

== Contact

Project:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rio/
Documentation:: http://rio.rubyforge.org/
Bugs:: http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=821
Email:: removed_email_address@domain.invalid

== Copyright
Copyright (c) 2005,2006 Christopher Kleckner. All rights reserved

== License
Rio is released under the GNU General Public License
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)

-Christopher Kleckner
Wybo D. (Guest)
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, rio4ruby wrote:

> Announcing Rio 0.3.7

Great! That solved my problem with rio#mkdir with 0.3.4 under linux!
Thanks everybody for the really intensive help and the massive number
(1)
of reactions to my mails (5) about that problem!
Harpo (Guest)
rio4ruby wrote:

> file-system tasks to be expressed succinctly.
Bravo !

.... Because :
.. It is very useful.
.. It is well documented.

I just had a quick look at the doc, I'm a newbie and I didn't understand
everything, things will be clearer when I'll use Rio.

Thanks !

> == Contact
dave (Guest)
Very nice!

Another step that Ruby makes to dominate the world!

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

 Sponsor:
 Personalizza il tuo cellulare con le immagini piĆ¹ divertenti o con le foto
di chi ami
*
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3117&d=5-1
Duane J. (Guest)
Hi Christopher!  This is my first time looking at Rio, and I'm very
impressed!  I have a few interface questions for you--things that
jumped out at me on my initial viewing of the examples.  Again, this
is coming from a white page here, so take it either as "how a new guy
sees the library" or with a grain of salt :)

On Jan 4, 2006, at 9:17 PM, rio4ruby wrote:

> Announcing Rio 0.3.7

<snip>
> Copy a gzipped file un-gzipping it
>  rio('afile.gz').gzip > rio('afile')

Why does 'gzip' unzip?  How would one zip something up?

<snip>
> Iterate over .rb files but not symlinks to .rb files
>  rio('adir').files('*.rb').skip(:symlink?) { |entrio| ... }
>
> Iterate over only the _dot_ files in a directory
>  rio('adir').files(/^\./) { |entrio| ... }

<snip>
> Create an array of the .rb entries in a directory and its
> subdirectories.
>  anarray = rio('adir').all['*.rb']

Curious... why does +all+ take square brackets when +files+ uses
parens?  Seems inconsistent upon first viewing.

Super work!  I look forward to using this in the future.

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
rio4ruby (Guest)
Duane J. wrote:
> > Copy a gzipped file un-gzipping it
> >  rio('afile.gz').gzip > rio('afile')
> >
> Why does 'gzip' unzip?  How would one zip something up?

Rio#gzip puts a Rio in gzip mode, so the referenced
file will be read from and written to properly. We could
rewrite the example:

 a_rio_referencing_a_gzipped_file = rio('afile.gz).gzip
 a_rio_referencing_a_file = rio('afile')
 a_rio_referencing_a_gzipped_file > a_rio_referencing_a_file

> How would one zip something up?

Turn the arrow around:
 rio('afile.gz').gzip < rio('afile')

> Curious... why does +all+ take square brackets when +files+ uses
> parens?  Seems inconsistent upon first viewing.

Both +files+ and +all+ are configuration methods.

The usage:

  anarray = rio('adir').all['*.rb']

is syntactic sugar for

  anarray = rio('adir').all.entries('*.rb').to_a

The abbreviated usage works because:
  1. Rio#entries is the default selection method when iterating
     over directories.
  2. The subscript operator passes its arguments to the most
     recently called selection method (in this case +entries+,
     even though it was never *explicitly* called) before it
     calls +to_a+.
  3. Rio#all returns the Rio which called it. (All configuration
     methods do this, to support the readable shortened syntax)

Since Rio#files is also a configuration method, it can be used
similarly:

  rio('adir').files('*.rb') { |f| ... } # iterate over .rb files
  rio('adir').files['*.rb']             # returns an array of .rb files
  rio('adir').files('*.rb') > 'bdir'    # copies .rb files to 'bdir'

Hope this helps.
-Christopher
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 9, 2006, at 4:38 PM, rio4ruby wrote:

>  a_rio_referencing_a_gzipped_file = rio('afile.gz).gzip
>
> The abbreviated usage works because:
> similarly:
>
>   rio('adir').files('*.rb') { |f| ... } # iterate over .rb files
>   rio('adir').files['*.rb']             # returns an array of .rb
> files
>   rio('adir').files('*.rb') > 'bdir'    # copies .rb files to 'bdir'
>
> Hope this helps.
> -Christopher

Fantastic!  Thanks again.  I'm loving Rio more and more :)

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
unknown (Guest)
Thanks Christopher,

I just started using Rio and it's very handy.

I'm trying to get Rio to work with file names that have a space in
them.  E.g "Foo B.".

Works
-----
rio('foobar') << "testing"  # no space in file name

Does not work
-------------
rio("\"foo bar\"")   << "testing"
rio('foo\ bar')      << "testing"
rio("foo bar")       << "testing"
rio('foo\sbar')      << "testing"
rio("foo\sbar")      << "testing"

I'm running on WinXP and installed Ruby with the one click installer.
I installed Rio with
 > gem install rio
but that got me 0.3.4

I've not been able to figure out how to specify a particular version
for gem to use.
>gem install rio  --source http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/7291/rio-0.3.7.gem

>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rio --source
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/7291/rio-0.3.7.gem
Attempting local installation of 'rio'
Local gem file not found: rio*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rio'
Updating Gem source index for:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/7291/rio-0.
3.7.gem
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    parse error on line 0, col 11: `data.tar.gz'

did not work for me

Any help appeciated.

Thanks,
Dale