Forum: Ruby win32ole and mci.mmcontrol failure

Daniel B. (Guest)
Hi all,

Windows XP, SP2
Ruby 1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Why does this fail?

irb(main):001:0> require "win32ole"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> sound = WIN32OLE.new("MCI.MMControl")
WIN32OLERuntimeError: unknown OLE server: `MCI.MMControl'
    HRESULT error code:0x800401f3
      Invalid class string
        from (irb):2:in `initialize'
        from (irb):2

Thanks,

Dan
Lou V. (Guest)
> irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> sound = WIN32OLE.new("MCI.MMControl")
=> #<WIN32OLE:0x250a230>
irb(main):003:0>
 > irb -v
irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
 > ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-26) [i386-cygwin]

do you have OLE/COM Object Viewer installed (I think it comes with
Visual C++).
if not, you can get it at,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/resk...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Is "Microsoft MCI Control" listed under "Controls" or "Automation
Objects" in the
OLE/COM Object Viewer?

do you have mci32.ocx installed in System32 dir?
is mci32.ocx in your path?
is MCI.MMControl in your registry?
Daniel B. (Guest)
Lou V. wrote:

> do you have OLE/COM Object Viewer installed (I think it comes with Visual C++).
> if not, you can get it at,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/resk...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

> Is "Microsoft MCI Control" listed under "Controls" or "Automation Objects" in the
> OLE/COM Object Viewer?

I don't see it.

> do you have mci32.ocx installed in System32 dir?
> is mci32.ocx in your path?
> is MCI.MMControl in your registry?

Nope.  Closest thing I've got is mciole32.dll.  Where do you get it?
I'm on Windows XP Pro, SP2 with the MS SDK and .NET stuff (cl 13).

Thanks,

Dan
Lou V. (Guest)
i think the ocx is automatically installed with Visual C++, Visual
Basic, and
other Visual Studio programs, or you can find just the control here:

http://www.ppreview.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245
mci32.cab