Forum: Ruby on Rails HTTP 500

Thomas Delnoij (Guest)
Hi.

I am faced with a problem that has been described in other emails. The
proposed solutions don't work for me, and as I am stuck with it now for
several hours, I ask here.

I am running RoR 1.0 and Ruby 1.8.2 on SuSE Linux 10.1 and WEBrick 1.3.1
and
following the tutorials in Agile Dev. With RoR.

Since a few changes all my requests return Http 500 Internal Server
Errors.
The logs remains empty though. As suggested in several posts. I cleaned
the
tmp directory holding the sessions using rm -r /tmp/ruby*.

All tests run without errors, I checked this using the rake command.

I created another application using RadRails, connected it to the same
dev
database and generated some scaffolding code. This app works as
expected.

Now, I hope somebody can give me some pointers how to analyze this
problem.

Thanks in advance. Thomas
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 4, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Thomas Delnoij wrote:

> Errors. The logs remains empty though. As suggested in several
> problem.

I've recently experienced something similar (although I was getting
blank pages, not 500 errors--possibly because I was using Lighttpd,
not WEBrick?).  The cause in my cause was due to a database
connection issue--if the database does not exist, or if the wrong
username/password was given, it would blank out without any errors in
the logs.

Ezra Z. also mentioned a case where if you have anything broken in
environment.rb, sometimes it will not give any errors but will die
silently.

Hope this helps,

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
Thomas Delnoij (Guest)
My environments was "broken" - I uncommented  #
config.action_controller.session_store = :active_record_store without
initializing the database table.

Is there a way to make R(oR) spit out more verbose error messages in
such
cases?

Rgrds, Thomas
Duane J. (Guest)

Passing along what was said on the rails core list:

Michael K. said:
> There are several error conditions where rails does that 'blank
> screen' stuff.   I try to fix them as I hit them.    I can't see a
> valid reason for this behaviour, so perhaps investigate a patch for
> it?
> --
> Cheers
>
> Koz