Forum: Ruby on Rails Virtual Hosts?

Gary H. (Guest)
Well, I guess I'm successful because within a month of getting my very
first
application online (and it's barely functional) I now have to get a
second
one up pretty quickly.

Basically, I have a rails application "myFirstApp", and a hostname
www.myfirstapp.com.  Now I have a second rails app "mySecondRailsApp"
and I
need www.mysecondapp.com to peacefully coexist on the same box.

I've looked through the rails wiki and I know I need virtual hosting.  I
see
one page that discusses this with apache and I might be able to muddle
through it.  Currently I'm using WEBrick and I'm a big fan of not
changing
things unless I have to.  Can this be done well with WEBrick or should I
make the switch to ?Apache?

Server load is not an issue.  Both sites are low traffic.

Thanks,

Gary
Gerard (Guest)
Gary,

Still working on my first app on a test server, but it needs to go onto
production system as well. I use vhosts on the production environment,
having
it all directed by apache2.

What I'm planning on doing (read: trying/testing). Is have an apache
daemon
function as a proxy and redirect stuff to a lightweight daemon
internally to
another port for the rails apps.

Proxy stuff:
http://www.realityforge.org/articles/2005/11/30/pr...
http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/11/08/apache-vhos...

And scgi is optimized for use with Rails:
http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/scgi_rails/index.html

Regards,

Gerard.

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 00:30, Gary H. tried to type
something
like:
> through it.  Currently I'm using WEBrick and I'm a big fan of not changing

"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

My $Grtz =~ Gerard;
~
:wq!