Forum: Ruby on Rails Subversion AND Rails hosting

Josh C. (Guest)
I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
offers this?

Thanks,
Josh
Jarkko L. (Guest)
On 3.1.2006, at 23.20, Josh C. wrote:

> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
> I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
> that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
> offers this?

All plans on Textdrive and Dreamhost include both Rails and SVN hosting.

//jarkko
Matt W. (Guest)
I've got a subversion repo running just great with TextDrive... (
textdrive.com)
Jarkko L. (Guest)
On 3.1.2006, at 23.22, Jarkko L. wrote:

> All plans on Textdrive and Dreamhost include both Rails and SVN
> hosting.

Actually, I'm not sure about Dreamhost, but Textdrive at least does
offer pretty unlimited subversion repositories.

//jarkko
Hendie D. (Guest)
I am quite happy with TxD as well :)
Brian D. (Guest)
Howdy.  I'm just getting into Rails, and really enjoying it!  I'm coming
from the .NET world, so I'll embarrassedly admit that I'm running it on
winXP and even using SQLServer (for now, may switch to mysql soon).
Hopefully someday I'll feel competent enough on my mac to work there,
but
one new thing at a time!

Anyway, I am trying to be a good programmer and use TDD, but am having a
problem with a simple test, mostly copied from the examples on:
http://ar.rubyonrails.org/classes/Fixtures.html

I generated my model classes and even got the scaffold working (ooh,
bad!
not TDD!!).  I was starting out messing with unit tests and fixtures,
and
was taking baby steps.  Ran into a hitch when it was saying that my
fixture
variable was nil:

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper'

class MessageTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
  fixtures :messages, :tags, :messages_tags

  def setup
  	  @message = Message.find(1)
  end

  def test_create
    assert_kind_of Message, @message
    assert_not_nil @messages
 #   assert_equal @messages["peace_message"].title, @message.title

The three fixtures exist (messages, tags, messages_tags) and have data.
Brute force tests (assert_equal "my message title", @message.title)
pass.
But the @messages["peace_message"]["title"] returns an error.  I added
the
assert_not_nil call and indeed, that fails.  It seems like it should
automatically exist?   What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Brian
Lance B. (Guest)
On 1/3/06, Josh C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
> I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
> that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
> offers this?

For the short couple of weeks I've had it, I've been very happy with
TextDrive which provides both.
Scott M. (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 00:39
Josh C. wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
> I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
> that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
> offers this?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

check out http://www.railsplayground.com/ too, mucho fantastico!
Timothy J. Wood (Guest)
Josh C. wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.
[...]

   <http://www.textdrive.com>

   I haven't used them, but they offer both svn and rails.

-tim
Robby R. (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:20 -0600, Josh C. wrote:
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.

Check. Check...

http://www.planetargon.com/hosting.html

#planetargon on irc.freenode.net

Rails hosting...by Rails geeks...

-Robby

--
/**************************************************************
* Robby R., Founder & Executive Director                 *

About railsplayground, they seem to be _way_ cheaper than the rest of
the crowd (about $24/yr versus an average lowest of $100/yr).

Is there a reason for that? What are your experiences?

Thanks, Best regards to the wonderful rails community :)
Philippe L..
Josh C. (Guest)
On 1/4/06, Philippe L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About railsplayground, they seem to be _way_ cheaper than the rest of
> the crowd (about $24/yr versus an average lowest of $100/yr).

Is Railsplayground up at the moment?  I've been trying to pull up the
page since yesterday, and the request continues to time out.

I am behind a university firewall, however, and they have a "block
first, ask questions never" attitude about.
Joe C. (Guest)
> Is Railsplayground up at the moment?  I've been trying to pull up the
> page since yesterday, and the request continues to time out.
>
> I am behind a university firewall, however, and they have a "block
> first, ask questions never" attitude about.
Josh,

They must be blocking us, railsplayground.com is online.

--
Joe C.
RailsPlayground.com
> > Is Railsplayground up at the moment?  I've been trying to pull up the
> > page since yesterday, and the request continues to time out.
> >
> > I am behind a university firewall, however, and they have a "block
> > first, ask questions never" attitude about.
> Josh,
>
> They must be blocking us, railsplayground.com is online.

Well, after a call to the university helpline to comform what was
happening, it seems that it's actually the ISP (MOREnet) that is
blocking the website.  They're theoretically tracking down the problem
now, but I'll just have to wait until I go home to check it out.
Kasper W. (Guest)
on 2006-01-07 19:01
Josh C. wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
> I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
> that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
> offers this?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

I'm happy with A2 Webhosting http://www.a2hosting.com/

Kasper
Borja =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mart=EDn?= (Guest)
I would also recommend dreamhost: www.dreamhost.com
very happy so far
Maykel Rodriguez (Guest)
on 2007-01-17 16:33
Have you tried SpeedyRails (www.speedyrails.com)?

Josh C. wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.  So far,
> I've only found a company called AVLUX (http://avlux.net/host.php)
> that has this.  Does anyone know of any other hosting company that
> offers this?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
Bill W. (Guest)
Hi Josh,

 Josh C. wrote:
> I've been scouring the net looking for different hosting solutions,
> but have so far only found one site that has what I'm looking for.  I
> would like to be able to host both a subversion repository for
> development and my rails application(s) all in one location.

I think you'll find that a2hosting.com can help you.  I'm using them on
shared plan right now, developing a Rails app, and can't say enough good
things about their support.

From their knowledgebase, titled 'SVN Specific information'
https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowled...

hth,
Bill
Ross R. (Guest)
Hi Josh,
Not sure if this is right for you but Rimuhosting's cheapest VPS is
actually cheaper than the shared hosting account you posted, you'd
then have the control to install anything you wish on the server with
the benefit of higher storage, bandwidth and definitely better
reliability for your rails app.

On 1/17/07, Bill W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> shared plan right now, developing a Rails app, and can't say enough good

--
Ross R.
www.sorrylies.com
Michael S. (Guest)
the quality is high. The subversion setup is integrated into their
railsmachine gem, so setting up a repository for a new app is as simple
as "cap -a setup_scm". This will create a svn repository on the server,
import your application code, checkout new working copy, and ignore
logs and tmp.

Michael
www.mslater.com