Forum: Ruby Family Connection 0.9

Duane J. (Guest)
Family Connection is an easy-to-setup online hub for your family that
includes a Family News section, and an Address Book.  Currently,
there is no documentation on installing the Rails application itself
(hence the 0.9 version number).

Once installed, Family Connection guides the family website
administrator through a simple two-page setup process.  The web
application restricts access to family members by requiring the
"family password" given during the initial setup process.

The Family News is like a blog where family members can post events,
announcements, recipes, family anecdotes, stories or reviews.  It
includes the ability to upload pictures with each news item.  The
Family News features the ability to have email messages sent directly
to the application so that the application can post the message up
immediately.  The news posts also support tagging.

The Address Book shows a listing of all family members with their
thumbnail pictures.  It is secure in that only family members who
have registered at the site can view the information.

Currently, Family Connection is only available via Subversion:

	svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/familyconnect/trunk

The 1.0 release will feature documentation and a downloadable
package; however, because this is a stable and quite usable
application already I thought it would be good to make it available
immediately.

Regards,
Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
Tomas J. (Guest)
Sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it later. Are there, by any
chance, any screenshots available?

Regards,
Tomas J.
Stephen W. (Guest)
Duane J. wrote:
> Family Connection is an easy-to-setup online hub for your family that
> includes a Family News section, and an Address Book.  Currently, there
> is no documentation on installing the Rails application itself (hence
> the 0.9 version number).

Very cool Duane!

--Steve
Justin B. (Guest)
Yah this sounds sweet!  I will be sure to check this out.  Thanks for
sharing. ;o)
Belorion (Guest)
Sounds intriguing.  Screen shots (or, even better, an online demo) would
be
awesome :)

-Matt
James L. (Guest)
On 1/3/06, Tomas J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it later. Are there, by any
> chance, any screenshots available?

I'll second this.  Any more information on this project would be
fantastic.  The RubyForge page is pretty sparse on details.  This
sounds like something that I would be interested in evaluating.

-- James
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Justin B. wrote:

>>> is no documentation on installing the Rails application itself
>>> (hence
>>> the 0.9 version number).
>>
>> Very cool Duane!
>>
>> --Steve

Duane-

	I just set this up to play with and I really like it! I am going to
put this on my server and invite my family. Thank you for writing it!

Cheers-
-Ezra
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 3, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Ezra Z. wrote:

> writing it!
>
> Cheers-
> -Ezra

Awesome!  Glad you're enjoying it, Ezra.  As some have requested,
I'll have a demo up with the 1.0 release.

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
unknown (Guest)
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Duane J. wrote:

> The Family News is like a blog where family members can post events,
> Currently, Family Connection is only available via Subversion:
> http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
what's the best way to bootstrap the db?  i've got the db configured
alright
and see db/schema.rb... now what?

-a

> what's the best way to bootstrap the db?  i've got the db
> configured alright
> and see db/schema.rb... now what?

I did `rake db_schema_import` (or whatever that poorly named task is
called), and then `rake migrate`.  But then I gave up when it need
RMagick (was on my win32 box @ work).

I didn't look at the db after that, but did see the db file (using
sqlite3) was there afterward.

--Steve
unknown (Guest)
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Stephen W. wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2006, at 7:43 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>
>> what's the best way to bootstrap the db?  i've got the db configured
>> alright
>> and see db/schema.rb... now what?
>
> I did `rake db_schema_import` (or whatever that poorly named task is called),
> and then `rake migrate`.  But then I gave up when it need RMagick (was on my
> win32 box @ work).

rake db_schema_import did it.  thanks.

-a
Ben H. (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 06:31
Tomas J. wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it later. Are there, by any
> chance, any screenshots available?
>
> Regards,
> Tomas J.

I took a screenshot. I was gonna blur out my last name, and then I
realized my email has my last name in it, heh. Anyway, it is very
pretty: http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture18ez.png

Although, imho, the sign up/in buttons seem sorta out of place, compared
to the rest which is  much grayer. Although it sure draws attention to
them.
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 3, 2006, at 8:43 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

>> administrator
>> features the ability to have email messages sent directly to the
>>
>> Regards,
>> Duane J.
>> (canadaduane)
>> http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
>
> what's the best way to bootstrap the db?  i've got the db
> configured alright
> and see db/schema.rb... now what?

rake db_schema_import

I finally have instructions up at http://
familyconnect.rubyforge.org.  Announcement soon to follow.

Thanks for giving it a try.

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
Jeff B. (Guest)
Duane,

This is a wonderful app!! I was planning to build my own family portal,
but
instead I can build on what you have already started (and commit any
good
changes back to you).

Thanks for doing this! It can really help facilitate communications
between
distanced family members.

Jeff
Adrian M. (Guest)
Duane,

Great work! I've browsed through the online demo but not the code yet.
Have
you planned for any I18N so far? I would love to install and expand this
for
my family but I need to do Spanish for that. I can translate the code
but
then I thought a more international approach would help others if we
setup
language files or something else (haven't investigated the I18N rails
stuff
yet).

Thanks again,

Adrian M.
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Adrian M. wrote:

> Adrian M.

Wow.  That's quite an offer.  I haven't tackled anything with i18n
before, but I'm willing to give it a try.  Do you have a recommended
'plugin' or package to use with Rails?  There have been several
around for a while, but I'm not one to know which is best.

Do you have a RubyForge account?

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
Adrian M. (Guest)
Duane,

I haven't dipped into I18N in Rails so far so I wouldn't know which one
recommend. I don't have a RubyForge account yet but I can get one I
guess.

AEM
Belorion (Guest)
You might want to check the RForum source - it has nice
internationalization
support.

-Matt
Joshua Sierles (Guest)
Also check out Josh Harvey's Globalize plugin at:

http://globalize.diluvia.net

Joshua Sierles
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 4, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Joshua Sierles wrote:

>> -Matt

Thanks, both.  I'll take a look as soon as I can.

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/
Mark N. (Guest)
Having only just drunk of the RoR "wowee juice" I missed the original
posting about Family Connection. Would someone be so kind as to repost
the
URL to it please?

TIA
mark
Tom L. (Guest)
On 1/5/06, Mark N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Having only just drunk of the RoR "wowee juice" I missed the original
> posting about Family Connection. Would someone be so kind as to repost the
> URL to it please?

See the link at the bottom of each mailing list message for a link to
the mailman page, which has a link 'Rails Archives' at the top (or you
can use the 'searchable' version). Invaluable if you're new to the
list. :)

http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/2006-...

> TIA
> mark

Sincerely,

Tom L.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://AllTom.com/
Duane J. (Guest)
On Jan 5, 2006, at 5:32 AM, Mark N. wrote:

> Having only just drunk of the RoR "wowee juice" I missed the
> original posting about Family Connection. Would someone be so kind
> as to repost the URL to it please?
>
> TIA
> mark

Sure, Mark.  Actually the 1.0 release was announced a little later:

http://familyconnect.rubyforge.org/

-- Duane