Forum: Ruby on Rails RDOC and dot on mac

Keith L. (Guest)
All,
This is probably a bit more of a mac question, but here goes.
(Admission: I
posted this to ruby-talk as well....)

I am trying to use rdoc -d to generate class diagrams on a mac running
Tiger
(OS X 10.4) for a rails app. I managed to get dot installed, but now am
running into problems with dot looking for libraries that either do not
exist or are apparently in the wrong place. I probably made things worse
by
trying (at various times) both Darwin ports and i-installer. Can anyone
point me to instructions on getting this working?

BTW, the current error I am getting is

dyld: Library not loaded: /Local/DarwinPorts/lib/libpng.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/dot
  Reason: image not found

TIA,
Keith
Corey J. (Guest)
This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]

Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
especially for large graphs.

Corey

1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot

On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Keith L. wrote:

> not
>   Reason: image not found
>
> TIA,
> Keith

Corey J.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Keith L. (Guest)
on 2006-01-03 04:04
Corey J. wrote:
> This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
> use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]
>
> Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
> especially for large graphs.
>
> Corey
>
> 1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
> 2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot

Corey,
Thanks - I had actually tried that, but could not figure out how to use
the dot that is embedded. How do you tell rdoc to use that one?

Keith
Keith L. (Guest)
on 2006-01-03 07:39
Keith L. wrote:
> Corey J. wrote:
>> This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
>> use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]
>>
>> Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
>> especially for large graphs.
>>
>> Corey
>>
>> 1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
>> 2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot
>>

> Corey,
> Thanks - I had actually tried that, but could not figure out how to use
> the dot that is embedded. How do you tell rdoc to use that one?
>
> Keith

Duh- got it working by creating a sym link to the dot file in the
graphviz directory. Guess I am still doing something not quite right,
since the output appears to be many diagrams, each of one source file. I
am looking for an overall class diagram.

Keith